My first computer. LF suggestions, help, verify compatibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I chose the 1090, because its clock speeds are about equal to the i7 960, and its half the price. Intel is also notorious for changing sockets, and I'm after upgradability.
PassMark Intel vs AMD CPU Benchmarks - High End

What card did you end up going with? I was considering upgrading, but like I said, I was going to upgrade to crossifire 5770 when the game actually comes out. Currently I play WoW, and it doesn't support crossfire.

I really do want at least a 1080p monitor, because the ability to play blu-ray well is pretty important too me.

Still looking for advice on my graphics card, and some suggestions for my monitor!

Thanks,

Carson

You can't compare processors by their clock speed. My i5 750 stock speeds are 2.8GHz same as my old P4 and my i5 kicks my old P4 *** any time of the day! It's like comparing a ant to an elephant.
Not saying that the 1090 is a bad processor but do some research next time like checking some benchmarks...

Did you really just make a statement like that when I clearly posted a link to a comparison of the benchmarks! I also stated that it had a higher probability of being upgradeable.

The clock speeds clearly, were not my only reason.

Did you really just make a statement like that when I clearly posted a link to a comparison of the benchmarks! I also stated that it had a higher probability of being upgradeable.

The clock speeds clearly, were not my only reason.

yeah I figured that was the main reason sounds like it should be a pretty sweet computer.

as for my setup, I ended up springing for the 5870 and so far I'm pretty happy. I will let you know if I figure anything out in the way of a monitor.

AMD has changed sockets many times, a higher probability of being upgradeable is a myth. It looks like my 920 is almost at the top of that list with a 8879.5 :D
passmark2782.jpg

carson1931 said:
I chose the 1090, because its clock speeds are about equal to the i7 960, and its half the price

I was making a comment on your statement, haven't seen the link... next time explain yourself better because someone may be reading in a hurry may interpret what you said wrongly. And in my opinion (I'm no expert so it worth what it worth) you should check for benchmarks of real applications, specially the ones you're planning running the most, and not synthetic benchmarks. To me synthetic benchmarks are a reference but I don't make my decision based entirely on them. As you can see on this AMD Phenom II X6 1090T And 890FX Platform Review: Hello, Leo : AMD Can Do Six Cores, Too the 1090 takes advantage on media and transcoding apps, because of the 6 cores, but regarding games and productivity apps that is not true, the i7 920 takes a slight advantage.

the i7 920 takes a slight advantage.

Sorry, I didn't have time to read your whole post because I'm in a hurry... so let me comment on your statement quoted above... the 1090 actually does take advantage on media and transcoding apps. (see i can quote part of your post and make you sound silly too)

As far as checking the benchmarks on the games I plan on playing.. that would be hard considering the two main games I'm looking to play, aren't even out yet, and the FF14 benchmark, is notoriously inaccurate.

That all being said I am still looking for a good monitor solution.

I'm not starting a word fight with you. I couldn't care less what you bought. I miss understood you and I my intention wasn't to make you sound silly but to warn you that what you said was false even with the link of the synthetic benchmark you posted after. What I've said still remains, you don't take clock speeds in consideration when comparing different processors because they don't mean anything. You should check for real benchmarks and not synthetic. You're happy with your buy good for you, that's what it matters.

And regarding your quote from my post you open this topic saying that you want a computer to play games so the i7 920 does have a slight advantage, so no, I don't sound silly...

if the specs taken from ff14news.com is correct, the HD 5770 shouldn't have any problems with FF14

• PC Recommended Requirements: Windows XP/Vista/7, Intel Core 2 Duo 2GHz or AMD Athlon X2 2GHz, 2GB of RAM, 15GB HDD space, NVIDIA GeForce 9600 512MB or ATI Radeon HD 2900 512MB and DirectX 9.

downloading the FF14 benchmark right now. will post results in a bit.

---------------------------------------------------------------
here are my results.

Intel E2200 @ 3 Ghz
Nvidia GT 240
4 Gb of RAM

scored 2023 on
Character: Hyur (male)
Resolution: 1280 x 720
(only choices were 1280 x 720 or 1920 x 1080... and my max resolution is 1680 x 1050 so....)

according to Square Enix:
[2000-2499] Slightly Low Performance Capable of running the game, but may experience some slowdown. Adjust settings to improve performance.
I only have 2 cores vs your planned 6 core, and the HD 5770 is at least twice as fast, if not three times as fast as my video card, so I don't think you will have any problems at all.

it would be nice if someone with comparable hardware you are buying, (at least a quad core cpu and a HD 5770 / HD 4870 / GTX 260) runs the benchmark also, to see what sort of performance you can expect.

link here:
FINAL FANTASY XIV Official Benchmark

file size is about 172 MB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom