My first computer "build" please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

craig-north-11

Beta member
hey guys, i basically had an old computer that i wasthrowing out as it did not work but instead i have decided to try and fix itand wanted to learn a bit about them while im doing it. however i basicallyneed some help. i have bought this MOBO (i believe that is the correct term) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251049662218ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
and apart from that i have an old computer with very basic parts.

i could do with some help choosing a case for my computer also the computer ihad was using windows XP operating system will i still be able to use this wheni put my new bits together ? and finally, (for now anyway) how will i be ableto upload new drivers to my new build if i cannot access the internet, or willi be able to?

Thank you, in advance.

Craig.

Link says item not available. Probably be better of with stating what model the computer was or what the specs are to get started. Then we need to know what exactly you will be using the computer for before we start recommending parts.

I think I should give it a shot/go!
xeaf1.gif

Hey Craig,

For sure give it a go! As the individual has said above, the link is unavailable. I can provide you any help you need though in the building a computer side of things. I am actually pretty new here so I am just familiarizing myself with the site and I actually run a blog dedicated to building gaming pc's

If you want some help choosing any hardware it would be nice to know your budget as well any purposes you are wanting to use your PC for. As for your questions on the drivers, don't worry about it! When you purchase any hardware such as a new motherboard it will most likely for one: come with instructions, two: be able to boot up after installing any operating system and three: comes with its drivers on a CD to install.

Also, you will most definitely be able to install your Windows Xp on any new hardware, even though I would highly recommend going to Windows 7! You can either "borrow" it or purchase the OEM version for only $99.

the MOBO i bought is
Gigabyte GA-K8NE Socket 754 AMD Mobo Bundled with AMD Semperon 3300 & Fan

basically i went off the amount of pci slots and other similar things but i do not really know if this was the right thing to do, i only paid £20 for it though i have windows 7 on other computers which i purchase so don't really want to buy it again for this new build if i can "find it" or buy it for cheaper off someone or somewhere i would be interested, i basically want the computer for browsing and music system to link up to my TV in my bedroom so to be honest i don't have that bigger budget, also the computer i am using as a donor is an advent (not sure on the model but can find out) also it had an intel board and i am going to use an AMD i believe this is a similar board but cheaper ?

Any information is greatly appreciated and thank you so much for the response that i got

Craig

Not exactly sure what you are trying to accomplish here. You can't put an Intel chip in an AMD board if that is what you mean. Or if you're just trying to replace the Intel setup with this Sempron.

We really need to know what the computer is you're working with right now because that 754 setup is very old.

Hey Craig,

Generally one would choose a processor first so that you know which motherboards are compatible, however it does look like your motherboard was "bundled" with a processor already? Do you know if it's already installed? And that it a rather old processor the sempron 3300, and with it an older motherboard.

Looking at all the specifications it looks like the sempron comes in at 2Ghz and is a single core, so you would have to find a "32-bit" version of Windows 7 if you still want to use this. The requirements for the 32-bit version of Windows 7 is 1Ghz or faster and 1 GB ram minimum.

Secondly you were saying you have an older computer you are using. If you do not need it anymore you may be able to reuse the hard drive, DVD/CD drive, maybe the video card if it has one, and perhaps even the case? Try taking everything out, it would have to be able to support an ATX sized motherboard.

And as PP MCquire has said, if you could find what brand and type of computer it is that may be helpful as well.

Otherwise you need to find:

2GB or so of RAM that is 184 pin
An optical drive (DVD/CD drive), any kind with do.
A hard drive of any size
a video card with a PCI express x16 connection.

For what you want it sounds like your needs for the PC are pretty basic so this is do-able.

Sorry I apologize you're right they are 64. He should be ok if all his uses are to listen to music and browse the web?

Ideally you should not need any more hardware and can simply re-use everything you already have though.

Sorry I apologize you're right they are 64. He should be ok if all his uses are to listen to music and browse the web?

Ideally you should not need any more hardware and can simply re-use everything you already have though.
He wants to stream movies to his TV if I read that correctly. If so, he will need something beefier to handle 1080p content.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom