My first build! What do you reckon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamPNE

Baseband Member
I've been reading these forums for a short while now, to try and get some ideas about a new pc i'm hoping to build. I'm new to this kinda thing, I have installed pci-e cards, ram and a hard drive, but thats about it. I have no experience of dealing with the high-tech wizardry of processors and motherboards.

Anyway, enough rambling. Here is my new build (after the processor price cuts):

Antec Nine Hundred
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (possibly Q6600)
GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC6400C4
Gigabyte P35C DS3R
OCZ GameXStream 600w PSU

I will be using my current GeForce 7900GS for now, and all other components from my current pc (storage, cd/dvd drives etc)

So, what do you think? I thought the mobo would be future-proof, so I can put DDR3 ram in it later, and the processor seems popular for overclockers, which is what I want to get into.

One thing I have no idea about is cooling. What seems to work best. I have heard methods, such as heatsink, water coooling and peltier, but what works the best? Could anyone recommend me some good stuff?

Also, is 600w enough for a PSU?
Thanks in advance :D

Don't look into DDR3 just yet. Motherboards that support two kinds of RAM, can be a little buggy. Just go for the regular Gigabyte P35-DS3R.

That power supply series in particular has a ripple effect on it's rails, and it's not that bad, but it's not good either. 600w is more than enough, but I'd suggest a better series than GameXStream. I'd recommend power supplies like these:
SeaSonic 550w or Corsair 520HX
They both have plenty of amps, to support a high-end system. It's not about the wattage.

RAM, is good. GeIL is not a bad company. Most will tell you, to go for the G. Skill DDR2-800 HZs.

If you want to go watercooling, you should spend at least $250, for a good one. A cheap watercooling kit isn't worth the possible leaks. If not go for the Tuniq 120 heatsink. As it is one of the best heatsinks for the money. Along with that, get AS5 thermal paste.

i suggest this heatsink for your processor

Newegg.com - Scythe SCNJ-1100P 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler - Retail

as for the best cooling water cooling is the best but if you want cheaper cooling just go with the scythe unless price is not a matter for you wich if its not if i were you i would go water cooling,

you can see the scythe ninja in my avatar to the left under my psu

and a 600 psu is more than enough i run
4 cathodes
4 fans
2cd drives
video card
2xhdd

with a 580 psu so you should have nothing to worry.

So I should just get the regular P35-DS3R? I won't be upgrading for about 2 years now, so do you think what I am buying will last that long? Also, what are the advantages, other than Penrynn support, of that board over the P965 version (Gigabyte GA_965P_DS3P (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard)?

I think I will stick with the GeIL ram, to keep prices lower if I am going to buy a better PSU, such as this SeasSonic one: Seasonic S12 Energy+ 550W Silent ATX2.0 Power Supply

For a cooler, either Tuniq Tower 120 CPU Cooler (Socket 478/754/939/940/AM2/LGA775) or Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme (Socket AM2/LGA775) Heatsink
I think water cooling is out of the question, it would break my budget just a little!

This PC will be used for gaming and university work (word processing etc, no demanding stuff). Also I am going to learn about overclocking using this PC, are there any other suggestions?

By the way, thanks for the fast replys!

i suggest the ninja its cheaper (scnj...thats the model number)

the tuniq tower is a rip off of the scythe ninja wich in my opinion has better cooling and it stays cool

I would agree with the AF7 Pro, if he doesn't have the extra money for the Tuniq....but if he was to go for the Q6600, I would suggest the Tuniq.

i suggest the ninja its cheaper (scnj...thats the model number)

the tuniq tower is a rip off of the scythe ninja wich in my opinion has better cooling and it stays cool

I haven't used the tuniq yet myself but a lot of people here recommend it, it must be doing something right, as for your ninja never heard of it.

Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - Retail

I also hear the arctic freezer 7 pro is a good one too.

EDIT: Looks like you guys got to it before me. Guess I need to be a faster poster lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom