My First Build: Need A Little Help - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 08:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via AIM to Austin2048 Send a message via MSN to Austin2048 Send a message via Yahoo to Austin2048
Default My First Build: Need A Little Help

I am going to be building a computer over the next month or two. I don't have much money so I am buying a part every week or two. I found a list of parts that will suit my needs and I am pretty sure everything is compatible but I just have a few questions about cases and power supplies.

here is a list of the parts i have picked out:
Asus Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4 Processor
A-Data DDR3 Ram
Western Digital Caviar Black

i found two different cases that i liked
Antec Nine Hundred
Zalman

Both of these cases have everything i need and want. I know Antec is the better brand but do you guys think I'll regret it if i go with the Zalman to save a few bucks?

And as for power supplies. I was looking at a 750 watt Corsair:
750 watt Corsair

Or is 750 watts too much power for this rig? Should i go with this 650 watt?
650 watt Corsair

What do you guys think?

I do plan on getting a video card because the crappy integrated graphics on the board will not keep me happy. And the parts might change if I see better deals in Newegg's Shell Shockers but this is pretty much what it is going to be. I am a noob to building computers. I will gladly take any advice and recommendations. Thank you

Old 02-28-2011, 10:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hyper Techie

Default Re: My First Build: Need A Little Help

If your looking for a budget case that is very similiar I love my Rosewill.

Newegg.com - Rosewill DESTROYER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 120mm Fan, 1x Rear 120mm Fan, option Fans-2x Side 120mm Fan, 1x Top 120mm Fan, 1x Bottom Fan
and it's $10 off right now.

pics here if you want a reference. Rate the Wire Management Above You!

or this is great too.

Newegg.com - Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm Fan, 1x Rear 120mm Fan, option Fans-2x Side 120mm Fan

650watts is more than enough.

If you give us a number we can help you more efficiently. How much are you looking to spend and what will this comp be for?

- Asus VG248QE - Corsair M60 & K90 -
Old 02-28-2011, 11:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via AIM to Austin2048 Send a message via MSN to Austin2048 Send a message via Yahoo to Austin2048

Those cases aren't bad. But atm I'm liking the Zalman best for its cable management and roomy inside. It looks like i can slide the cables right between the side panel and the back of the motherboard.

I guess I will go with the 650 watt corsair then.

I'm trying to keep it under 650 bucks but I'm not buying all of the parts at once. Its going to be a slow build. But it will be for gaming and programing and a ton of anime watching (:
Old 03-01-2011, 01:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Very nice choices my man! I got the same MoBo/Cpu combo and it rocks!
Old 03-01-2011, 03:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Newegg is having a sale on this psu. 550 watts would power everything including a video card right? I'm planning on getting a half gig gddr5 card sometime in the future

550 watt psu
Old 04-13-2011, 02:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

i just got my motherboard in the mail from newegg (which was the last part i needed) and i put all my parts together and everything works! i was a little nervous when i first turned it on but im really excited now that it works fine i am running Ubuntu 10.10 and it is extremely fast. here is the final list of all the parts that went into my build:

PSU
Case
Motherboard
Processor
RAM
SSD
Monitor

i had the SSD in my laptop but i pulled it out and threw it into my build. i put the regular HDD back in my laptop

Thank you everyone who helped give me advice
i bought everything when it was on sale from Newegg.com and TigerDirect.com. i love both of these sites. very fast shipping and very cheap prices

Closed Thread