My First Build: Need A Little Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Austin2048

Baseband Member
I am going to be building a computer over the next month or two. I don't have much money so I am buying a part every week or two. I found a list of parts that will suit my needs and I am pretty sure everything is compatible but I just have a few questions about cases and power supplies.

here is a list of the parts i have picked out:
Asus Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4 Processor
A-Data DDR3 Ram
Western Digital Caviar Black

i found two different cases that i liked
Antec Nine Hundred
Zalman

Both of these cases have everything i need and want. I know Antec is the better brand but do you guys think I'll regret it if i go with the Zalman to save a few bucks?

And as for power supplies. I was looking at a 750 watt Corsair:
750 watt Corsair

Or is 750 watts too much power for this rig? Should i go with this 650 watt?
650 watt Corsair

What do you guys think?

I do plan on getting a video card because the crappy integrated graphics on the board will not keep me happy. And the parts might change if I see better deals in Newegg's Shell Shockers but this is pretty much what it is going to be. I am a noob to building computers. I will gladly take any advice and recommendations. Thank you :)

Those cases aren't bad. But atm I'm liking the Zalman best for its cable management and roomy inside. It looks like i can slide the cables right between the side panel and the back of the motherboard.

I guess I will go with the 650 watt corsair then.

I'm trying to keep it under 650 bucks but I'm not buying all of the parts at once. Its going to be a slow build. But it will be for gaming and programing and a ton of anime watching :)

i just got my motherboard in the mail from newegg (which was the last part i needed) and i put all my parts together and everything works! i was a little nervous when i first turned it on but im really excited now that it works fine :) i am running Ubuntu 10.10 and it is extremely fast. here is the final list of all the parts that went into my build:

PSU
Case
Motherboard
Processor
RAM
SSD
Monitor

i had the SSD in my laptop but i pulled it out and threw it into my build. i put the regular HDD back in my laptop

Thank you everyone who helped give me advice
i bought everything when it was on sale from Newegg.com and TigerDirect.com. i love both of these sites. very fast shipping and very cheap prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom