MY FIRST ACTUAL BUILD (AMD Too!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry for being so ignorant and rude, i just want to try AMD 64 cpu's..
and to answer all of your questions, first question was basically answered in my sig,
Need: PCI-E Videocard (able to run Oblivion & The Godfather at decent frames)
second i get paid around 120-180 a week depending on how many hours i put in a week at my pos frys workplace, and plan to buy things 1 or 2 at a time depending on their price, and i do have a decently upgradeable motherboard it has 4x sata socket 939 supporting x2, fx, and basic 64 and has 4gig ddr400 compatability so yeah theres an answer to all

ok, i dont know where tyler is getting his information. i read acticles made by the pros at extreme tech on their benchmarks every week. every test they ran AMD came out on top. the low end sempron 3400+ beat a 2.93ghz celeron (although thats not saying much) and a 2.8ghz p4 (non-hyperthread) besides the p4HT processors are the hottest running chips on the market. i installed 4 dell workstations for my uncles' guitar shop, they were all HT. within 2 weeks they ALL melted, dell came and replaced them with lower clocked non HT systems and eveything is fine, save the machines are slow.

i will put it this way tyler is a fan boy, im not if you are really in it for the best performance you dont care who makes it just as long as its the best, right now its AMD, maybe later it will be intel. it seesaws back and forth its a game of oneupsmanship and waiting for "the next big thing" isnt giong to get a computer built.

my advice is go athlon64, and ,make sure that you can upgrade easy. with technology improving every day upgradeability is most important.

as for pci-e video, single cards the best is the radeon x1900xt fro dual its nvidia 7900's. but if you are trying to just play oblivion at med levels then go with radeon x800 or nvdia 6800gt. i have a 6600 and it works fine. hope that helps

zmatt said:
ok, i dont know where tyler is getting his information. i read acticles made by the pros at extreme tech on their benchmarks every week. every test they ran AMD came out on top. the low end sempron 3400+ beat a 2.93ghz celeron (although thats not saying much) and a 2.8ghz p4 (non-hyperthread) besides the p4HT processors are the hottest running chips on the market. i installed 4 dell workstations for my uncles' guitar shop, they were all HT. within 2 weeks they ALL melted, dell came and replaced them with lower clocked non HT systems and eveything is fine, save the machines are slow.

i will put it this way tyler is a fan boy, im not if you are really in it for the best performance you dont care who makes it just as long as its the best, right now its AMD, maybe later it will be intel. it seesaws back and forth its a game of oneupsmanship and waiting for "the next big thing" isnt giong to get a computer built.

my advice is go athlon64, and ,make sure that you can upgrade easy. with technology improving every day upgradeability is most important.
Ignorance. The Conroe isn't using Intel's current architecture. I have a AMD Processor myself you have no place to make baseless guesses. The next big thing is Intel and it's around the corner AMD has nothing till 2007. They are more efficiant, faster, and run cooler, and are better overclockers. You should do some research before you post.

ok, im sorry but a "baseless guess" i give you not. in truth you have no idea what conroe can do, yea you might have read about what it is supposed to do but no one really knows how it will all work out UNTIL someone gets their hands on one and bemchmarks it. until then anything about next-gen hardware and software is speculation and if your entire reason to argue is based off speculative information, then you have just lost your credibility.

and i also own an AMD and my own personal experience is that they are superoir to current intels. what will conroe do? will AM2 roxzor or suxzor? you, i, or anyone else cannot say. the only people who know hard facts about those processors are the hard woek men and women designing them.

and the test samples sent out mean nothing then. also when you use a smaller nm technology you can oc better Intel is on 65 and will soon be going to 45 AMD is on 90 and will soon be going to 65.

zmatt said:
ok, im sorry but a "baseless guess" i give you not. in truth you have no idea what conroe can do, yea you might have read about what it is supposed to do but no one really knows how it will all work out UNTIL someone gets their hands on one and bemchmarks it. until then anything about next-gen hardware and software is speculation and if your entire reason to argue is based off speculative information, then you have just lost your credibility.

and i also own an AMD and my own personal experience is that they are superoir to current intels. what will conroe do? will AM2 roxzor or suxzor? you, i, or anyone else cannot say. the only people who know hard facts about those processors are the hard woek men and women designing them.

Lol, are you dumb? There have already been multiple benchmarks done and its clear that Conroe is something special. Don't attack someone that obviously did there research when you did not. Fact is the Conroe is going to be an amazing CPU and AMD better have something up there sleeve.

Guys, whats going on here? REALITY CHECK. This guy is asking for advice on his computer, and you're all throwing fanboy garbage into his ears, let the man get whatever the **** he wants, current AMD processors are amazing pieces of circuitry and will last a hella long time, don't forget Vista isn't coming out for a while now, so whatever the **** you buy you'll have to "upgrade" when Vista comes out.

I reviewed your system and it looks pretty good, consider upgrading to a 6600GT or atleast get a silently cooled 6600. Do some research before coming on here too, I know thats the whole point of posting, but it seems we have some members so **** bent on tech nazi's that they deem everyone else ignorant.

And those of you calling him rude and arrogant, its his **** computer, not yours, so he can shut down your ideas just as fast as you throw em out, so shut your pimply faces and go back to playing Counter Strike.

first off. thanks septiod this thread was hijacked. and i agree a 6600gt would be good. my first habd experience with the 6600 has been a pleasent one and i recomend it to whoever wants a stable good overclocking midrange gpu.

but to tyler heres reaserch: http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1906034,00.asp

its an over veiw of 2005 in cpu terms and what will happen this year. put in short AMD cpus won benchmarks, intel couldnt pass 4ghz ,intel is going for cool runnig, low power cpus (ie not performance), and yes amd will not have a new achetecture all year.

but what does that tell me? conroe is a cpu meant for laptops, and minimalist machines i look forward to it and hope it does well, in this age we need some low power cpus. amd is going ddr2 this year which means so will am2. the fact with cpus is that apparently we have hit a ghz wall, the move that manufactures are making is multiple cores and more mflops, ghz isnt everything and it seams that cpus will go in a different direction from now on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom