My dream computer - Is there anything out there similar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgledhill

Beta member
I am a CPA, a disabled firefighter and a casual computer gamer. I have a serious back injury which requires that I lay in my adjustable bed quite a lot throughout the day. I do a ton of my CPA work in bed, in addition to watching movies/shows on my laptop and playing games usually very late at night.

I have a pretty good laptop but it is pretty common knowledge that a laptop absolutely cannot compete with a desktop computer, especially when it comes to overheating issues.

I was thinking how insanely cool it would be to have a laptop-like system that had only a screen and keyboard, like a laptop does, but operate via some sort of cable off of a desktop/tower. I don't mean a laptop that syncs with a desktop or anything, but a laptop that was nothing more than a screen and keyboard, having the CPU, GPU/video card, hard drive, etc. in a tower.

I suppose I couldn't see a ton of people desiring this sort of system but for me it would be incredible for my needs.

Why not use a desktop with a sturdy monitor stand that is adjustable, and a good keyboard/mouse? They do make long KVM cables you can use to let the tower stay down on the floor a bit away....

Those are great ideas, but even those wouldn't quite work for me. Something that is mountable to a wall, would be OK, but I have limited wall space near my bed because of a large window, and it would realistically, need to be able to extend about 4 feet comfortably. Most of those examples seem to be pretty limited, as I can imagine due to extended weight putting too much force at the hinges. And I have a wife to contend with. That alone would be a hard sell. Although she does understand my situation.

That website listed has a lot of ways to mount equipment, you can do wall, floor pole, ceiling pole, and they even had special ones for particular beds. I wouldn't worry about weight, those things are built for some weight as they are meant in medical areas or for older people that tend to unknowingly put their weight on the stands. The only downside is, the equipment is expensive.

But those stands are built rather sturdy looking, and they DO offer custom tailored setups, though I am sure that comes with a nice price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom