My Digital Life is a Mess! Help!
So I'm looking for some input on what direction I should take on my desktop and server. What I've got now is sort of a hodge podge of storage. My needs have changed again so I'm re-thinking what I should do next.
Laptop just kicked the proverbial bucket, so now I'm ordering parts to build a new desktop as well, (my Samsung 950 Pro 512GB just came in, w0ot!).
Luckily for me, I was already planning on a new build this month and no longer need a laptop! And being as I no longer need a laptop, having three portable hard drives are all but useless to me now!
I do have a server that's running Amahi w/ a Corsair 90GB SSD, 1x WD Green HDD, 2x WD Red HDDs. It's running a dual core of sorts, (socket 1150, I believe it's a Pentium) w/ 8GB of DDR3 1333. Not using Amahi to it's full potential by any means, really just been using it to store files and not much else. In fact, I'm questioning if I even need a full blown server instead of just running a simple out-of-the-box NAS w/ RAID 1.
I've got 3x External 2TB WD 2.5" HDDs, (ten months old, these were purchased to take my stuff with me), 2x 2TB WD Red HDDs, (three years old), and 1x WD Green HDD, (three years old). All just disks for storage. I also use a cloud service for simple document back-up, on top of all of this.
What do you guy's think the best option is, given I'm putting together a new desktop now-
1) Build new desktop and keep my server, just run all the HDDs on my server and set up a storage pool. Would be slow for transferring data across my network, but that doesn't happen often anyway.
2) Build a new desktop and abandon the server, just run all drives off the desktop, (probably a bad idea).
3) Build a new desktop, sell off everything server related, run something like a 2/4-bay QNAP or ReadyNAS.
4) Build a new desktop, run 5-6TB HDD locally and an external 5-6TB in a external enclosure for cold storage.
5) Build a new desktop, keep my server, re-think server software and the HDD set-up.
Back on being mobile - ASUS G551- 15.3" 1080p - Core i7 4710HQ - GTX 860M - 16GB DDR3 1600 - 512GB Samsung 850 Pro - Steam ID: TheOtis