Is my computer slower than my Internet?

skeeter_ca

Baseband Member
My computer is very slow. Sometimes it takes along time to load an internet page but sometimes it seems to do ok. I just upgraded my internet speed from 750kb/s to 5mb/s. This is the highest speed available in my area. It has made something's better but the computer still seems to be running slow. It is a couple years old HP 1.2Ghz desktop computer running windows 10. 2Gb ram, 500gb HD.

Looking at a HP desktop, 2.7ghz i5 intel chip, 1TB HD, 12gb ram

Would I really see a big difference with a new computer?

skeeter

Last edited:
At work so can't really get the model number till tonight. I run AVG, Spybot and Ad-aware every month or so with no real problems detected.
5Mb/s is the fastest I can get in my area(read as boonies) with unlimited data and a low latency. My son uses Xbox and it seems the sat companies are to slow for that.
skeeter

When I upgraded to 5Mb/s I did see a difference but it is still slow, especially for today's high advertisement webpages.

skeeter

I tried posting before, but my work likes blocking a lot of posts for some reason. Anyways, I'm not trying to be rude but 5Mb really isn't that fast and no matter how slow your machine is 5Mb should work "effective" on any speed machine. For comparison, my Windows 98se box that plays old games would browse perfectly fine on a more modern OS albeit a lot of flash content hogs the old CPU. It still speed tests on my net around 55Mb out of 150Mb so I'd say 5Mb on a quicker machine should be no big deal.

That being said, I'd say only use a combo of AVG/Avast and Malwarebytes and keep them updated and scan frequently. Sat net is actually much quicker than 5Mb in a lot of areas, but the reason the Xbox doesn't do so good on it is because of latency.

When I upgraded to 5Mb/s I did see a difference but it is still slow, especially for today's high advertisement webpages.

skeeter

If you're not already, switch to Chrome or FireFox. Then install uBlock Origin and Flashblock. That'll take care of a lot of your slow-browsing issues.

Sat user here - 5Mbps isn't that slow, average webpage loading will only spike upto about 2.5-3Mbps before it's done loading unless it's a rather large page like a Photobucket Album, or something that's graphically intensive.

Also, I almost never see below 10Mbps on my satellite connection, and routinely see upwards of 30Mbps, provided I don't go over the data allowance. Like PP said earlier, it's the latency that hurts satellite, the speeds are pretty good.

I am on the side of you having an infection, or poorly functioning router, or someone else in the home is consuming your bandwidth.

Back
Top Bottom