My build

That CX 750 should be o.k. for your system, could've done better but you could've done worse too.

1. Your motherboard already has audio ports, is there any reason your need a sound card?
2. I can't recommend a home theater system, hopefully some one else can help you.
3. Same for headsets but stick with popular brand names
4. A hyper 212+ should be o.k. if your not into heavy over clocking, if your serious about over clocking then consider using water cooling. There are a couple good ones out there

Your post brought something else up.

If you're buying a good receiver for home audio you don't need a sound card. Optical out provides clean digital output and makes needing the DACs or headphone amp on a soundcard moot.

Sound cards are more of a moot point nowadays - the sound chips built into boards are quite good nowadays for normal audio.

No, optical is a digital signal which can carry 5.1 / 7.1.
S/PDIF - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-2095538/spdif-optical-support.html#13072318

It depends on what your sound card supports, and what your receiver supports. And according to your Mobo's specs:
Realtek® ALC1150 Codec
- 7.1-Channel High Definition Audio
- Supports S/PDIF output

And digital signal is two channels. :)

The problem is, a good home theater cost about 4k...
And I'll probably buy one by the ending of 2015...

Isn't a sound card cheaper? Besides I'm worried about quality and immersion, that a 2 channels can emulate, the direction of sound is very important.
Anyways, a sound card is on bottom of my list, so...

___

Oh btw, I'm thinking to get the RM850, plus gold with 92% efficiency...
Good?

Last edited:
And digital signal is two channels. :)

Digital is binary (0's and 1's) - it can be however many channels you want it to be. Just depends on if the device at the other end can decode that singal into multiple channels. I have a cheap 42" TV hooked up via SPDIF to my Logitech z5500's (which supports Dolby Digital, so it has the proper decoder). It's a 5.1 setup, and I get proper surround sound. If it's only a 2.0 or 2.1 source, it emulates it into 5.1.

The problem is, a good home theater cost about 4k...
And I'll probably buy one by the ending of 2015...

Isn't a sound card cheaper? Besides I'm worried about quality and immersion, that a 2 channels can emulate, the direction of sound is very important.
Anyways, a sound card is on bottom of my list, so...

___

Oh btw, I'm thinking to get the RM850, plus gold with 92% efficiency...
Good?

Haven't had an issue with mine being inaccurate in terms of positioning.

If you actually want immersion...then a set of surround headphones would be better, IMO.

Last edited:
Sound channels are not the equivalent to other channels OP. Sound channels indicate the number of speakers and subwoofers involved in the sound setup itself. Optical out can handle as high as the digital codec can handle and is the opportune rather than a sound card because the card can add extra noise to the line. A modern motherboard will do 7.1 output no problem, and the HyperX headset (or any other "gamer" headset) you're referring to will not sound anything like a decent audio setup.

You should really have clarified in your initial post what you got and what you didn't, and rephrased with, "I have already bought this, I need help with this" to ward off criticism you might not want towards your current purchases. I mean here in the US your build is easily close to 2000 bucks and is still costly regardless of the location and you're talking about pricey things and complaining about cost. That's all I'm saying there. You could have put money in other areas but you bought first and asked later.

A sound card is not cheaper, and only necessary if you are NOT using the home theater setup you're talking about. It's also not necessary if you're buying a cheap headset. ANY gaming headset will not justify the added cost of a sound card, and a lot are USB anyways.

To the RM850, it's a good PSU but you'd be better off with something like an AXi 760.

Carnage, I disagree on the surround headphones. There isn't any emulation as good as a properly setup 5.1/7.1 setup.

Digital is binary (0's and 1's) - it can be however many channels you want it to be. Just depends on if the device at the other end can decode that singal into multiple channels. I have a cheap 42" TV hooked up via SPDIF to my Logitech z5500's (which supports Dolby Digital, so it has the proper decoder). It's a 5.1 setup, and I get proper surround sound. If it's only a 2.0 or 2.1 source, it emulates it into 5.1.

Haven't had an issue with mine being inaccurate in terms of positioning.

If you actually want immersion...then a set of surround headphones would be better, IMO.

This may sound weird but...
I read that a non surround headphone with the proper software to emulate is better than actually the surround ones, I haven't searched yet.

Sound channels are not the equivalent to other channels OP. Sound channels indicate the number of speakers and subwoofers involved in the sound setup itself. Optical out can handle as high as the digital codec can handle and is the opportune rather than a sound card because the card can add extra noise to the line. A modern motherboard will do 7.1 output no problem, and the HyperX headset (or any other "gamer" headset) you're referring to will not sound anything like a decent audio setup.

You should really have clarified in your initial post what you got and what you didn't, and rephrased with, "I have already bought this, I need help with this" to ward off criticism you might not want towards your current purchases. I mean here in the US your build is easily close to 2000 bucks and is still costly regardless of the location and you're talking about pricey things and complaining about cost. That's all I'm saying there. You could have put money in other areas but you bought first and asked later.

A sound card is not cheaper, and only necessary if you are NOT using the home theater setup you're talking about. It's also not necessary if you're buying a cheap headset. ANY gaming headset will not justify the added cost of a sound card, and a lot are USB anyways.

To the RM850, it's a good PSU but you'd be better off with something like an AXi 760.

Carnage, I disagree on the surround headphones. There isn't any emulation as good as a properly setup 5.1/7.1 setup.

I bought the MSI gaming 7, i5 4690k and those 16GB of memory, and that's all.
My next purchases would be the case, SSDs, termal paste and the new PSU...

Then two new gpu, monitor and sound card with a headphone.
I know that hyper X isn't anything great on quality, but I rarely play games that use this, I just don't want to spend 1k on something that I'll not use that oftten.
I also mentioned this gamer headset, cause I heard it's much better than the others headsets. Have you tried it?

Definitely there's a lot good headphones with a cheap price, but they've ugly design...
I want something with a pretty look... Do you know something?

For this price tag, isn't the seasonic platinum series 860W better?
7 years warranty woah!

Last edited:

But like you said, he was complaining about cost :p.

If you could find a headset with multiple drivers that'd be best - but most just emulate surround with 2 drivers. Can't say that I've looked into it that much though, either.

1 This may sound weird but...
I read that a non surround headphone with the proper software to emulate is better than actually the surround ones, I haven't searched yet.

2 I bought the MSI gaming 7, i5 4690k and those 16GB of memory, and that's all.
My next purchases would be the case, SSDs, termal paste and the new PSU...

Then two new gpu, monitor and sound card with a headphone.

3 I know that hyper X isn't anything great on quality, but I rarely play games that use this, I just don't want to spend 1k on something that I'll not use that oftten.
I also mentioned this gamer headset, cause I heard it's much better than the others headsets. Have you tried it?

4 Definitely there's a lot good headphones with a cheap price, but they've ugly design...
I want something with a pretty look... Do you know something?

5 For this price tag, isn't the seasonic platinum series 860W better?
7 years warranty woah!
Bold 1: You are correct. Bigger high quality drivers with a high end surround emulation (Dolby) will sound better but usually you won't find much in the way of high end cans + good surround software. You have to look at decent headsets like the Corsair Vengeance 2100.

Bold 2: So then you haven't purchased the SSDs, GPUs, or PSU. You said you bought it already. Get your story straight man. If that's the case, then don't go with the Fury SSDs and get yourself just a good larger SSD like a 500GB 850 (or 840) EVO. I also personally wouldn't go with 2 970s, but I have a different agenda than others so that's ok.

Bold 3: Are you speaking of just the headphone portion as not needing it much? If so, then don't get a headset, get some decent quality cans and buy yourself a Modmic. It's what I'm doing and I'll NEVER go back to a crappy gaming headset. To answer your question, no I haven't, but I've tried a lot of different gaming headsets over the years and basically they all suck. The only one I can remotely recommend that I've used are the Corsair Vengeance 2100s. Linus was also ehhh on the HyperX.

Bold 4: Don't fall into that stupid trap. That's something kids do or consumer *****s. Buy into quality, not looks. Leave that for your clothes or car. There are also plenty of decent looking headphones out there. Sennheiser make some, Sony, AKG, ect.

Bold 5: Normally I'd say any day, but I actually like the OEM for Corsair's AXi series (some people perform a gasp here) over Seasonic. BUT you can't go wrong with either one.

To touch base again on the subject, if you buy the HyperX headset anyways you don't need a sound card. It'll be wasted money. If you buy the wireless headset I talked about you don't need a sound card. If you buy a good home theater receiver you don't need a sound card.

But like you said, he was complaining about cost :p.

If you could find a headset with multiple drivers that'd be best - but most just emulate surround with 2 drivers. Can't say that I've looked into it that much though, either.
I think you missed my point buddy. He's complaining about price but wants to sink money into the wrong areas. He wants to spend a ton of money for a Creative SRx (or whatever) sound card but won't spend that money into a receiver or decent cans? Decent PSU? Better SSD?

Also no, multiple driver surround cans all sound like trash in my experience. Sound quality wise and surround quality wise. I used to own 2 pairs.

Last edited:
I think you missed my point buddy. He's complaining about price but wants to sink money into the wrong areas. He wants to spend a ton of money for a Creative SRx (or whatever) sound card but won't spend that money into a receiver or decent cans? Decent PSU? Better SSD?

Also no, multiple driver surround cans all sound like trash in my experience. Sound quality wise and surround quality wise. I used to own 2 pairs.

Fair enough - I assumed they would have been better just because the fact they weren't emulating surround. But like I said, I never used 'em or looked into 'em much - just assuming.

Fair enough - I assumed they would have been better just because the fact they weren't emulating surround. But like I said, I never used 'em or looked into 'em much - just assuming.
In theory they are, but in practice everybody found that they were pretty terrible. The smaller drivers made for very tinny experience and the lack of a USB amp back in the day made it a cumbersome mess with lack of real support.

Bold 1: You are correct. Bigger high quality drivers with a high end surround emulation (Dolby) will sound better but usually you won't find much in the way of high end cans + good surround software. You have to look at decent headsets like the Corsair Vengeance 2100.

Bold 2: So then you haven't purchased the SSDs, GPUs, or PSU. You said you bought it already. Get your story straight man. If that's the case, then don't go with the Fury SSDs and get yourself just a good larger SSD like a 500GB 850 (or 840) EVO. I also personally wouldn't go with 2 970s, but I have a different agenda than others so that's ok.

Bold 3: Are you speaking of just the headphone portion as not needing it much? If so, then don't get a headset, get some decent quality cans and buy yourself a Modmic. It's what I'm doing and I'll NEVER go back to a crappy gaming headset. To answer your question, no I haven't, but I've tried a lot of different gaming headsets over the years and basically they all suck. The only one I can remotely recommend that I've used are the Corsair Vengeance 2100s. Linus was also ehhh on the HyperX.

Bold 4: Don't fall into that stupid trap. That's something kids do or consumer *****s. Buy into quality, not looks. Leave that for your clothes or car. There are also plenty of decent looking headphones out there. Sennheiser make some, Sony, AKG, ect.

Bold 5: Normally I'd say any day, but I actually like the OEM for Corsair's AXi series (some people perform a gasp here) over Seasonic. BUT you can't go wrong with either one.

To touch base again on the subject, if you buy the HyperX headset anyways you don't need a sound card. It'll be wasted money. If you buy the wireless headset I talked about you don't need a sound card. If you buy a good home theater receiver you don't need a sound card.

Thanks for the help.

I was looking for help into sound system and cooling system, on original post, so...
I just didn't knew my PSU was so terrible...

About the SSD, the EVO 850 cost 1.4k for 512GB, while the fury will cost 435 per each, so I'll get 2 (480GB), but with raid 0. That will make it faster than any single SSD.
If I purchase any big storage SSD, it will get very costly, and to make a raid 0, and hurt my pocket...
Any SSD is already really fast, and raid 0 doubles it's speed, and became just amazing...

It's almost 38% off, for only 32GB loss, but faster speed... It seems a better deal for me... Things here are expensive, otherwise I would do as you said, cause the EVO is much better indeed.
Sadly I've to mix my build with good things and ok things.

That's the thing with headset/headphones I'll rarely use, so I'm not really wanting to spend a lot on this. I'll give a search on those you mentioned.

But a sound card however it will be a "passive" on my computer.
I don't know when I'll get a home theater, I'll not get something lame here, and I'll not use headphones often...

Find items isn't always easy, I always focus on look and quality.
I'm really sad with cooling system, because I can't find something pretty and good. =/

Last edited:
Your PSU isn't terrible, but as per the rules in my guide the PSU is where you put a good amount of money. The better the PSU the less likely you'll ever have to upgrade it in a long time.

You don't need faster, but you do need TRIM. In SSD land it's all about IOPS, not raw speed/throughput. By themselves the EVO still would outlast either Fury in the lifetime of your rig, but in RAID 0 if you're not using a RAID card that will send TRIM commands your SSDs will get slower over time and you will start to notice it after a while. Also, the 850 is new, that's why I put the 840 in (). Oddly enough, you already are anyways.

If you won't hardly use good quality cans, then you don't need a sound card. I feel you completely breezed past everything I said in that department. If you're buying cheap junk for a headset you don't need a sound card. If you're buying a home theater setup later, you don't need a sound card. Let me put it simple, you don't need a sound card.

Focus on quality first, looks later. Seriously, are you 12? As for cooling, get an H60 or H80i. All of the above, except like with any cooling solution you'll still need to clean the radiator about once every 3 months.

Back
Top Bottom