My big upgrade tomorrow. Last second opinions please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm, I'm wondering if I should wait to OC for awhile.

See I have a 550W Enermaz Liberty. But I'm running a 8800GTS and 3 hard drives.

I'm not too sure about OC'ing a quad core and 2 gigs of memory to 1100MHZ yet.

You will be fine. I overclocked my 8800 GTX to 620/980, my QX6700 to 3.3GHz, and my ram to 1100MHz with 2 150 gig Raptors. You will be fine. Its completely safe, overclocking doesn't really take up much power.

No kidding? Hmmmm. I was figuring I'd want a 600W or 650W to be safe.

Well that's comforting. And will save me some $$.

How much did you pay for your G skill HZ's?

Unfortunately I bought them back when they were $300. Just a couple months after I bought them, the price dropped like crazy. Oh well.

Yea.

I heard their was an EXTREME price drop in memory awhile back.

I plan on making it 4gigs sometime soon. Once I got 64-bit I'll go 4gigs.

I mean 32-bit Vista can support something like 3.2 or 3.3 gigs, something along that line.

1100 MHz, 2.15v, 5-4-4-10, Thermaltake Toughpower 700w, and an EVGA 680i SLI mobo.

dang thats a heckuva overclock, btw did u upgrade the 680i's BIOS, it has support for 1333fsb CPU's and lets u overclock more

dang thats a heckuva overclock, btw did u upgrade the 680i's BIOS, it has support for 1333fsb CPU's and lets u overclock more

doing it now, thanks for letting me know, I haven't checked in a while. Ya my G.SKILL is awesome. :)

Just an update-

I ended up with some OCZ gold 2gigs and this Abit mobo-

Newegg.com - ABIT IP35-E LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

A friend of mine works at a local PC store and I got the OCZ and mobo at store cost.

I got the Q6600 at Fry's because my friend couldn't match the price they had it for.

But I got the OCZ stuff for $110.00, so I'm pretty happy about it.

I actually had some issue with the mobo when I first got it. It was acting sort of strange. Wasn't reading the CPU correctly and reported it running at 1.8ghz.

But I installed Vista, and the thing flys way faster then my last rig with Vista. Vista detects the CPU properly and did right off the bat.

I didn't really need a super feature rich mobo, so I didn't really feel the need to buy stuff I'm not going to use. I just wanted a P35 mobo that's stable and is a good overclocker. Just needed 4 SATA ports, one IDE connecter for my DVD burner, and one PCIE-16x slot, because I'm never going to go SLI.

Needless to say I'm very happy with my over all purchase. I'm sticking with the stock heatsink for awhile. I'll start overclocking in about a month or so.

Tonight I plan on checking the RAM timing's and vultage to make sure they're set correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom