My ata133 drives only show up as ata33

Status
Not open for further replies.

dario03

Fully Optimized
I have seagate and western digital hard drives and they both only show up as ata33. I have the newest chipset for my motherboard but they still only show up as ata33. Anybody have a idea why?

What os do you have? Check your bois settings and make sure ultra DMA is enabled, Then go into device manager and look at the primary and secondary ide channels and see what it is running at. What mobo do you have?

My motherboard is a Asus A8N-E and I'm running XP. I checked my cables (their the round kind) and they are 80 wire, I just got them 9 months ago. Though when you say 80 wire you do mean 80 all together right, not something like 80 per row so it would be 160?

Actualy its 80 Conductor 40 Pin Cables, And They are called High Density Cables..

So find out if they are High Density or not, if it came with the motherboard, some companies are cheap and Don't give you the high density ones...

Have you went into device manager and seen what ultra dma mode the primary ide channel is running in? (advanced settings tab)Doesn it say ultra dma mode 3?

Ste said:
Actualy its 80 Conductor 40 Pin Cables, And They are called High Density Cables..

So find out if they are High Density or not, if it came with the motherboard, some companies are cheap and Don't give you the high density ones...
but it does have 80 wires. 40 of them are used for data transfer, the other 40 are used for catching noise between the other wires

I went into device manager and they were set to let bios pick and running at UDMA 3 but I changed them to UDMA 5 and my test speed went from 31 to 41 but they still show up as ATA33. I'll try and change the wires when I can find some that I know are 80 pin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom