My 2nd build - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-16-2008, 08:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 458
Default My 2nd build

So my comp crapped out on me, think its my mobo, but i wanted to upgrade soon anyway.
Heres what im thinking

Processor - Intel E8400
Im pretty set on getting this processor

Graphics card - 8800 gt
As of now i like the cost/performance of the GT vs the GTS or 9800gtx. If i wait long enough i may look at the new nvidia or ATI cards.
Tho the nvidia gtx 260 is supposed to be around 400 way more than i want to spend on it.
So for the 8800 gt theres a dual slot version but in the reviews they dont praise it too well in keeping it cooler.
single slot - Newegg.com - EVGA 512-P3-N801-AR GeForce 8800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
dual slot - Newegg.com - EVGA 512-P3-N800-AR GeForce 8800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
What do you guys think about dual or single cooling slot.

Ram - 4 gigs (2x2gb)
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
I could use some advice here, i went to best rating newegg on 2x2gb sticks and got this g.skill with some 535 ratings. But thats all i am going off of and any advice on this would be appreciative.

Mobo - Im pretty clueless on picking out a good mobo. I definetly will never do SLI or crossfire. I wouldn't like to go over $150 on it if i dont have too. Having a decent overclocking ability would be good, i dont want to skimp out on a crappy mobo if i can help it but i dont want anything too OCing enthusiastic.

PSU - Corsair 520hx
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-520HX 520W ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC Class B, TUV, CCC, C-tick - Power Supplies
I think this is the power supply every1 raves about on here right?

For all parts, i may overclock the processor at some pt (including ram), i probably wont overclock the graphics card at all.
__________________

__________________
Intel E8400
Zalman 9500AT
evga 8800gt dual-slot cooler
4gig (2x2gb)g.skill ddr2 1066
gigabyte p43-ds3L
Antec sonata II mid tower
200gb Seagate HDD, 500gb Seagate HDD, 1TB Seagate HDD
bkolk is offline  
Old 06-16-2008, 09:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Logan, WV
Posts: 2,503
Send a message via AIM to wafflehammer
Default Re: My 2nd build

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX All Solid Capacitor Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
is a good cheap mobo that OC well

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EP43-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
seems to be another one that's starting to get talked about somewhat around these boards, but i haven't really seen any reviews on it

or spend a little more for the new p45
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

(sorry gigabyte is about the only board name i really look at..so there are others that vary a little in price)

EDIT: oh yea, you listed your video card again instead of a link to RAM lol
__________________

wafflehammer is offline  
Old 06-16-2008, 09:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
Prototype's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Katy, Texas
Posts: 1,276
Default Re: My 2nd build

Why the E8400 how about E7200 (Dual Core) or Q6600 Quad Core)?

Get the ECS 8800GTS for 160 after MIR

X38 if you want crossfire 750i FTW if u want SLI
__________________
Project [PROTOTYPE] | Intel Core i7 Bloomfield
i7 920 4.4GHz | XFX 5870 Crossfire 900/1300 Mhz | EVGA E760 Classified | Windows 7 Ultimate | Logitech G5 | Logitech G15 | Silverstone Raven RV02 | Corsair 850HX
WD 640GB Black | WD 320GB External | Megahalems | G.Skill 6GB 1866 9-9-9-21

http://www.techist.com/pc/f10/project-prototype-218619/
Tech-Forums 1st 30K 3DMARK06

Intel Core i5 Lynnfield (Completed)
Prototype is offline  
Old 06-16-2008, 09:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Renowned Budgeting Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Uniontown, PA
Posts: 4,153
Send a message via AIM to Sora
Default Re: My 2nd build

Ok a couple things.

First you linked a different 8800gt instead of the ram.
Second what is your overall budget?

These two questions can help us build the most powerful system how you like it for your money.

I will start off by saying that the e844 is a great CPU and i highly recommend at least getting a cheap cooler such as this to help you get a lot of performance out of that chip.
Newegg.com - Rosewill RCX-Z775-LX 92mm Ball CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

The RCX is a great cooler for a dual-core CPU and since your not a hardcore overclocker im sure it will suit you plenty.

Next why not overclock a GPU? It's very simple to do and easily increases performance. If you really don't want to overclock then just get one of these gigabyte cards with an aftermarket cooler and come pre-overclocked 100mhz. Thats a really good deal honestly and i own a gigabyte 8800gt as well. As for dual or single slot it doesn't really matter honestly.

As for ram i highly suggest this G.skill.
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
Usually i don't recommend DDR2-1000 or so memory becuase it's expensive and you can overclock the 800 to 1000 however this stuff is a really good price and G.skill are just awesome. This will ensure you get a really nice overclock since Wolfdales are 1066fsb chips.

For the motherboard get the new chipset.
Newegg.com - ASUS P5Q LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

The P45 may have a few bugs at first but i'm sure it will be nice rather than getting a p35 right now.

As for the PSU get a 550VX if you want a great Corsair PSU unless you want modular.
__________________
E6300 w/ Arctic Freezer Pro 7 @ 3.6ghz 1.4Vcore
Antec 900 Case
EVGA 750i FTW Mobo
4x1GB of G.skill DDR2-800
2 8800GT in SLI
22" Samsung Syncmaster
1 250GB WD and 1 Seagate 7200.10 in RAID 0
Corsair 520HX 3DMark06 Score: 13900
Sora is offline  
Old 06-16-2008, 09:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Renowned Budgeting Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Uniontown, PA
Posts: 4,153
Send a message via AIM to Sora
Default Re: My 2nd build

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafflehammer View Post
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX All Solid Capacitor Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
is a good cheap mobo that OC well

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EP43-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
seems to be another one that's starting to get talked about somewhat around these boards, but i haven't really seen any reviews on it

or spend a little more for the new p45
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

(sorry gigabyte is about the only board name i really look at..so there are others that vary a little in price)

EDIT: oh yea, you listed your video card again instead of a link to RAM lol
I have been trying to steer away from gigabyte boards a little bit becuase i have seen 2 of their boards die and their customer service is absolutely HORRIBLE. Still they are amazing boards for the price when they work.
__________________
E6300 w/ Arctic Freezer Pro 7 @ 3.6ghz 1.4Vcore
Antec 900 Case
EVGA 750i FTW Mobo
4x1GB of G.skill DDR2-800
2 8800GT in SLI
22" Samsung Syncmaster
1 250GB WD and 1 Seagate 7200.10 in RAID 0
Corsair 520HX 3DMark06 Score: 13900
Sora is offline  
Old 06-16-2008, 09:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 458
Default Re: My 2nd build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sora View Post
Ok a couple things.

First you linked a different 8800gt instead of the ram.
Second what is your overall budget?

These two questions can help us build the most powerful system how you like it for your money.

I will start off by saying that the e844 is a great CPU and i highly recommend at least getting a cheap cooler such as this to help you get a lot of performance out of that chip.
Newegg.com - Rosewill RCX-Z775-LX 92mm Ball CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

The RCX is a great cooler for a dual-core CPU and since your not a hardcore overclocker im sure it will suit you plenty.

Next why not overclock a GPU? It's very simple to do and easily increases performance. If you really don't want to overclock then just get one of these gigabyte cards with an aftermarket cooler and come pre-overclocked 100mhz. Thats a really good deal honestly and i own a gigabyte 8800gt as well. As for dual or single slot it doesn't really matter honestly.

As for ram i highly suggest this G.skill.
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
Usually i don't recommend DDR2-1000 or so memory becuase it's expensive and you can overclock the 800 to 1000 however this stuff is a really good price and G.skill are just awesome. This will ensure you get a really nice overclock since Wolfdales are 1066fsb chips.

For the motherboard get the new chipset.
Newegg.com - ASUS P5Q LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

The P45 may have a few bugs at first but i'm sure it will be nice rather than getting a p35 right now.

As for the PSU get a 550VX if you want a great Corsair PSU unless you want modular.
I fixed ram link and I dont really have a budget per-say, im going more on each part as a reasonable price. Like ram, im thinking not over $100, mobo not over $150 if i can help it, Graphics card id like to stay ~$200. And i have a hookup on the processor so thats set.

Ive OC'd graphics card before, it is pretty simple, but i just dont intend to do it until its older.

I dont see the purpose of the ddr2 1000 ram because thats actually a speed of 500, and the 1333 fsb on the processor is actually a speed of 333. Its going much faster than the processor.

I like the idea of the new p45 chipset but theres no mobo with reviews on newegg really. Asus at least is what i looked.
__________________
Intel E8400
Zalman 9500AT
evga 8800gt dual-slot cooler
4gig (2x2gb)g.skill ddr2 1066
gigabyte p43-ds3L
Antec sonata II mid tower
200gb Seagate HDD, 500gb Seagate HDD, 1TB Seagate HDD
bkolk is offline  
Old 06-16-2008, 10:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Renowned Budgeting Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Uniontown, PA
Posts: 4,153
Send a message via AIM to Sora
Default Re: My 2nd build

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkolk View Post
I fixed ram link and I dont really have a budget per-say, im going more on each part as a reasonable price. Like ram, im thinking not over $100, mobo not over $150 if i can help it, Graphics card id like to stay ~$200. And i have a hookup on the processor so thats set.

Ive OC'd graphics card before, it is pretty simple, but i just dont intend to do it until its older.

I dont see the purpose of the ddr2 1000 ram because thats actually a speed of 500, and the 1333 fsb on the processor is actually a speed of 333. Its going much faster than the processor.

I like the idea of the new p45 chipset but theres no mobo with reviews on newegg really. Asus at least is what i looked.
The reason i say the ram is a good idea is becuase it will for sure let you max out the overclock on an E8400 if you ever wanted plus you can always tighten the timings to Cas latency 4 DDR2-800 quite easily on DDR2-1000 cas 5 where as you never know if you can hit cas 4 on DDR2-800 ram that is already cas 5.

There are reviews of the Asus P5Q pro mobo and it seems that the difference between them is only the second pci-e 2.0 slot.
__________________
E6300 w/ Arctic Freezer Pro 7 @ 3.6ghz 1.4Vcore
Antec 900 Case
EVGA 750i FTW Mobo
4x1GB of G.skill DDR2-800
2 8800GT in SLI
22" Samsung Syncmaster
1 250GB WD and 1 Seagate 7200.10 in RAID 0
Corsair 520HX 3DMark06 Score: 13900
Sora is offline  
Old 06-17-2008, 02:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
Prototype's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Katy, Texas
Posts: 1,276
Default Re: My 2nd build

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkolk View Post
I fixed ram link and I dont really have a budget per-say, im going more on each part as a reasonable price. Like ram, im thinking not over $100, mobo not over $150 if i can help it, Graphics card id like to stay ~$200. And i have a hookup on the processor so thats set.

Ive OC'd graphics card before, it is pretty simple, but i just dont intend to do it until its older.

I dont see the purpose of the ddr2 1000 ram because thats actually a speed of 500, and the 1333 fsb on the processor is actually a speed of 333. Its going much faster than the processor.

I like the idea of the new p45 chipset but theres no mobo with reviews on newegg really. Asus at least is what i looked.
the P45 just came out

1000 is nice if ur going to have a high clock everyday or u can do what sora said about overclock a ddr2 800
__________________
Project [PROTOTYPE] | Intel Core i7 Bloomfield
i7 920 4.4GHz | XFX 5870 Crossfire 900/1300 Mhz | EVGA E760 Classified | Windows 7 Ultimate | Logitech G5 | Logitech G15 | Silverstone Raven RV02 | Corsair 850HX
WD 640GB Black | WD 320GB External | Megahalems | G.Skill 6GB 1866 9-9-9-21

http://www.techist.com/pc/f10/project-prototype-218619/
Tech-Forums 1st 30K 3DMARK06

Intel Core i5 Lynnfield (Completed)
Prototype is offline  
Old 06-17-2008, 01:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 458
Default Re: My 2nd build

So any1 know anything about the dual-slot cooler in the evga 8800gt card? One newegg reviewer said the base is aluminum where the single slot card base is copper.
__________________
Intel E8400
Zalman 9500AT
evga 8800gt dual-slot cooler
4gig (2x2gb)g.skill ddr2 1066
gigabyte p43-ds3L
Antec sonata II mid tower
200gb Seagate HDD, 500gb Seagate HDD, 1TB Seagate HDD
bkolk is offline  
Old 06-17-2008, 03:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
Prototype's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Katy, Texas
Posts: 1,276
Default Re: My 2nd build

Well i heard dual slot is better than single because it provides lower temperature
__________________

__________________
Project [PROTOTYPE] | Intel Core i7 Bloomfield
i7 920 4.4GHz | XFX 5870 Crossfire 900/1300 Mhz | EVGA E760 Classified | Windows 7 Ultimate | Logitech G5 | Logitech G15 | Silverstone Raven RV02 | Corsair 850HX
WD 640GB Black | WD 320GB External | Megahalems | G.Skill 6GB 1866 9-9-9-21

http://www.techist.com/pc/f10/project-prototype-218619/
Tech-Forums 1st 30K 3DMARK06

Intel Core i5 Lynnfield (Completed)
Prototype is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Budget build in a few months Drizzt System Upgrades 4 01-09-2008 12:56 PM
Super Budget Build - How does it sound to you? spikoman69 New Systems | Building and Buying 31 01-07-2008 10:43 PM
1st build, high end pc, non-gamer ksmart New Systems | Building and Buying 14 11-04-2007 05:51 PM
semi-final build plan (with some issues) plz giv input Cheeseking25 New Systems | Building and Buying 14 10-15-2007 10:03 PM
Computer Building Tutorials (videos)... first build OnlyCurious New Systems | Building and Buying 5 07-15-2007 12:18 PM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.