My 1st ever build, please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmtd1

Solid State Member
Hi all,

I am glad to join your forum, and start reading through everything to learn.

I am looking at possibly building my 1st computer and really would love some advice. I was recommended some parts by a friend, but would like to get more expert opinions.

I really don't play PC games, but rather use my PC for video/photo editing and I am somewhat heavy on multitasking. I was looking at buying either a Gateway FX6840-03e, or an Alienware Aurora. But thought I may get more bang for my buck and better quality components by going the self build route. I do want to run dual ~32" monitors with this setup.

So, I have assembled the following components for my first build. any comments or suggestions are dearly appreciated as this is my first go.

Motherboard:
GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD5 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Processor: Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601920

Memory:
CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1600C8 G

Power Supply:
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

Video Card: Palit NE3TS25EFHD02 GeForce GTS 250 E-Green 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

Hard Drives: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Drives: LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer Black SATA Model iHAS424-98 LightScribe Support

Case: Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

Again, any input you could offer would be great. I don't know if I am way off track, or have the makings of a decent PC. I am looking at around $1370 for all this equipment.

Thanks in advance!

I don't know about the requirements for photo/video editing but my impression is that it doesn't use much of the GPU. With that in mind I doubt you will find need for SLi so you could save a bit on that PSU and maybe spend some more on the case.

Thanks for the reply. I do render console gameplay video captured in HD on my machine currently. I am not up on exactly what SLi is, but from what I have read it is two GPU's running in tandem to produce better graphics output. I'm not sure if this is something I would ever use, as I am not familiar with SLi technology.

I imagine I could find a PSU that doesn't support SLi and save a few bucks as you have said.

Ok, thanks alot so far for the help. I was considering this alienware before I looked into the custom build. But I think I'm paying alot just for the name and wont have the expandibility that this setup will offer. How do you think the parts I'm proposing compare to this?

Alienware - Desktop / Intel® Core™ i7 Processor / 6GB Memory / 1TB Hard Drive - AAR2-2618CSB

On the PSU, I think Ill step down to 650w with this Corsair:

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

Like was already said, you won't need SLI, when it comes to 3d, it (3D) is very processor intensive and not so much GPU. (Actually, from what I have read, most 3d software is extremely processor intensive, however recently they have started to dabble with starting to utilize the GPU a bit more, however all the major programs still focus the grunt work on the processor (3D Max, Maya, Lightwave, Blender come to mind))

In that context, if you wanted you could safely get a bit more processor (will also help with the multitasking), from what I can tell it will run fine for a 3d rendering machine. Not really sure how RAM factors into 3d so I can't really help you there (Though If I were to guess, I would guess it plays a rather important part also, so perhaps 8g? Someone please verify.) Also good call on the large hard drives, they will be needed ^_^

Yes. You are paying a premium price tag for that alienware for the brand name. Building yourself is much cooler anyways. You can brag to your friends :big_smile:

Go with the Gigabyte X58A-UD3R motherboard, it has pretty much the same stuff and it's cheaper. It's on sale for $199 at Newegg right now and it also overclocks fairly well (if you're doing CPU intensive rendering, overclocking would be a very good idea as the i7's overclock very well and you can get a lot more performance at 4GHz). You will need a cooler to overclock (either a big air cooler or water cooler). I'm using a Corsair H50 water cooler, it's one self-contained unit so it won't leak or need maintenance/refilling and cools very well, running 4.08GHz and never exceeds 65C on load tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom