Multiple Questions that need to be answered please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

XKainenX

Beta member
Hello I am new here and was referred to this site from a friend. My gaming computer blew up on me this evening, and it's three years old. So instead of fixing it I am gonna buy a new one. My price range is 2500 dollars and with the components I had selected I met my budget. I got all the prices and items off to newegg.com. My question is this, Do all the parts I picked out work together. This I am unsure of, Any help or suggestions would be welcomed of course. The parts as of followed..

Case- Raidmax Smilodon-89.99
CPU- Intel core i7 920 - 288.99
Motherboard- MSi x58 Eclipse SL - 309.99
Hard Drive - Western Digital 1.5TB SATA - 109.99
Video Card- XFX GeForce GTX 285 1GB - 389.99
Powersupply - Kingwin mach 1 AGT - 194.99
RAM - Corsair XMS3 12GB (6 x 2GB) - 359.99
Disc Drive - Sony optiarc 24x DVD/CD Burner - 27.99
Operating System - Windows 7 Professional - 139.99

Cooling System - ? I am thinking water cooled would be the best I am looking for product and which one I need So help would be nice please.

Keyboard - Logitech G110 Black LCD gaming keyboard - 69.99
Mouse - Logitech G9x - 86.99
Monitor - ASUS vw266g Black 25.5" - 299.99
External HD - Western Digital Elements 1TB - 99.99

Total - 2468.99

Also I need a good network card if that could be suggested as well if the motherboard one isn't powerful enough that is. I am willing to go over budget as long as it's worth it.

Ok with all that being said I would like to know if this will be an extreme gaming computer that will withstand extreme frame rates In First Person Shooters, and World Of Warcraft. All games being held at best Graphic settings possible.

All help will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks for the help! :)

yea everything seems to work together.. i would make some changes though..

i would get this card instead:

Newegg.com - XFX HD-587A-ZNF9 Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card w/ATI Eyefinity - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

i don't think you need 12GB of ram, get one 3X 2GB kit (6gb total).. more than enough. You mentioned this was for gaming right? 6GB MORE than enough!

no need for win 7 pro, win 7 home edition is sufficient unless you need XP mode. just make sure you get the 64bit edition.

surprised that budget made it to $2500 so easily... can you make room for an SSD? Would be a shame not to get one if you're spending that kind of money.

oh and i assume the optical drive is SATA as well...?

Thanks for the advise guys. I may sound like a nooby noob here, but what does a SSD drive do exactly? Does it take the place of my HD or what? I am still stumped on the Cooling system.Any ideas?

SSD is Solid State Drive technology, it's a hard drive that is faster than normal hard drives on much much much much more superior levels. You will see windows boot up in 15-20 seconds, programs installed on the drive will load up in the snap of a finger. Faster reading and write speeds, longer duration of life, less power consumption, all great but come with a hefty price tag. What you could do, like others, is get a smaller SSD for your "boot" drive (for Windows and programs, maybe a few games) and then store your data on larger hard drives. You could look at 40-80GB SSD and whatever size regular hard drive you want.

There are a lot of reasons people go for water cooling, most people do it for temperature stability when overclocking, or for silence or a cool project. If you have the money for it (think about $300) and you want that then yeah go for it, there are lots of people on the forum who can help you (I can't :p). Otherwise, a decent air cooler should do you just fine and not dent your wallet as much as a water cooling setup would.

Thanks for the advise guys. I may sound like a nooby noob here, but what does a SSD drive do exactly? Does it take the place of my HD or what? I am still stumped on the Cooling system.Any ideas?
think of it as this way, with a SSD, your boot time will probably be less than 10 seconds :D

could try the Corsair H50 for CPU cooling

MSI makes good mobo's, but it wouldn't be my 1st choice. This is a good user friendly board (it's a popular mobo so you can get lot's of advice if needed) and it will save you a few $$$.
Newegg.com - ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Right now the ATI 5870 is a better video card than the Nvidia GTX 285. If you just want an Nvidia card then you should wait a few weeks as the new cards should be arriving soon. So even if you don't buy a newly released card the older cards should start dropping in price.

That is way more power supply than you'll need. I have a big power supply but it was a freebie review item. Right now my system is highly overclocked, running SLI and I have 23 fans in it, at Full Load I'm hitting about 800 watts. If you just want a Big power supply then this is still way more than you need.
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

I really doubt if 12GB of memory is going to help much right now. You should get a 6GB (3x2GB) kit now and if you need more later buy it then. Right now memory prices are pretty high they should drop in price soon. These were $50 cheaper a few months ago but there still one of the best deals available.
Newegg.com - OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK - Desktop Memory

I would stick to a regular air-cooling setup, you should wait until you gain some more experience before messing with water. This is a good budget heatsink that will perform a lot better than the stock unit.
Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120 mm Core-Contact Freezer CPU Cooler W/TX-2 - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
and it needs the i7 LGA1366 retention kit.
Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-LGA1366 LGA 1366 Core I7 Socket Retention Bracket Set - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

The on-board network should be all you need. Most new mobo's even have (2) Network adapters built-in :D

Thanks everyone for your help, I did end up going with the SSD, Sounds to me its the way to go! With with the radeon video card, wind 7 home 64bit. Went with the heat sink you guys suggest and cooling systems as well, I mauled it over and went with the 3 x 3 = 6gb of ram...12gb did seem a bit much :\ ... BUt thank you all very very much for your suggestions while building. I am sure I will be back if I run into complications while building :) Thanks again everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom