Multiple Motherboards - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 03:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Multiple Motherboards

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on hooking up multiple motherboards together I heard it is possible and wish to incorp. it into to a computer that I am custom building for myself. I am trying to build my very own (note: for lack of a better term) Super Computer. I already have away to power it and cool it just having trouble on getting multiple Motherboards to set aside their pride and work together. lol

Old 07-08-2009, 03:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Re: Multiple Motherboards

I am sure it can be done, but running as a practical setup... I'm not sure. Because there is no declared standard for multiple motherboards like there are for multiple CPUs or Video Cards.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Ah ok guess I'll have to do a lot of trial and error
Old 07-08-2009, 04:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

...what?

Forgetting the fact that this isn't practical in ANY way shape or form, what possible reason would you need something like this?
thirdshiftdj - what on earth are you trying to say???
I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM or IM.
If I helped you out, or what I just said rocked you like a hurricane, hit the little thingie over there.
<-------------------------------
Old 07-08-2009, 05:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Are you talking about clustering?

Want to do even more? Take a look here and join the fight on human trafficking.

Hear and you forget, see and you remember, do and you understand.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

You can't hook multiple motherboards together and even if you could the number of cases that support more than one motherboard can be counted on one hand.
You can (or could) buy a personal super computer from Tyan, a deskside development system from siCortex Deskside Development System | Products | SiCortex (still doesn't use multiple motherboards) or something from IBM.

EDIT: that or your own cluster like Saxon said.

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Old 07-08-2009, 05:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Techie

And how do you plan on hooking the boards together, as there is no data bus capable of data transmission between two motherboards.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via MSN to Sheepykins

i was about to say before i read snakes post, theres no way you'd be able to hook two together, you'd need some kind of giant circuit board.

plus whats the benefit of two? usually its more processing power, but was we have chips with multiple cores now it doesnt really matter
Old 07-08-2009, 07:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lady Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmote View Post
and even if you could the number of cases that support more than one motherboard can be counted on one hand.
That's put a thought in my head, would a full tower like my HAF be able to fit two mATX mobos? Obviously not with the rear I/Os facing the right way and such.

LinkedIn Kiera Mitchell
Old 07-08-2009, 09:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

lol I never said it was 1 gonna be easy, 2 gonna seem or be practical. However that in which I plan to do is go and reprogram each motherboard to handle certain tasks taking like 15-20 Motherboards, (yes I know it sounds stupid and moronic) however what it is I am aiming for is not a bunch of motherboards all doing the same thing but a bunch reprogramed motherboards doing separate tasks between each other programed to process its own designated information funnel it into another area of the motherboard to be put together like normal increasing processing power (hopefully) 150% if not 100x more than that. Maybe I am wrong and just find out I wasted a ton of money for a failure.

Closed Thread