Multiple HDD Storage w/ Backup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spit-wad

Bake a Pretty Cake!
I do a lot of recording video and editing, etc, and have been filling up my hard drives way too fast. Even though I don't need a lot of my data anymore, I love having it and am willing to pay for more storage just so I can keep it. I'm also obsessed with having everything backed up.

I currently have a 1TB internal WD caviar green, which only has my video stuff on it (separate drive for my OS/programs/non-video stuff). I didn't buy it very long ago, but really filled it up quicker than I expected. I have it backing up to a 1TB external.

So now I need more space. I was thinking about adding another 2+TB (in addition to my 1TB) so it will last me a while. Right now I like the fact that I have all the stuff backing up to my external, so I can just unplug that and take it with me when I go to my mom's for the weekend, and plug it into her computer so I can continue working.

That being said, I really don't want to keep adding internal drives to my computer + more externals.

So I was thinking maybe there's some way to get a hdd bay that can hold like 5 drives on raid5 that can be plugged in most of the time, but would also be easy to unplug and take with me. Perhaps I could use the 1TB internal drive I already have and get some more of those to use in raid5? (I've never done raid before, don't know much about it)

I don't know if this is even a viable option I'm talking about, or if this is even what I'm looking for, but something like this? Newegg.com - Rosewill RSV-S5 SATA 3G 3.5" HDD 5-Bay RAID 0/1/5/10/JBOD Storage Enclosure System with 120mm cooling fan/ Port Multiplier/ PCIe card included/ Tray design
I have an eSATA port on my computer, but my mom's computer does not... so I'm kind of worried about that.

Any ideas on how to achieve what I'm looking for?

Thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom