To much RAM for CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veilside350z

Solid State Member
If you had a 64 bit OS and you a 2.7 GHZ processor, how much RAM can you keep adding until it becomes ineffective because I know with a 64-bit OS you can get up to 128 GB or ram, but would having even 16GB of RAM do anything unless you have an extremely fast processor?

There is virtually nothing that could even use 16gb of ram. 8gb of ram is overkill for 99% of applications.

Depends on what your doing. I have 8gb of ram and adding more would be ineffective. Not because my processor can't handle it but because I don't ever use the 8gb of ram I have now.

well if you are heavy in to doing stuff like 3D modeling and stuff like that then 8GB of ram would be great. but for gaming 4GB is really all you need.

If you had a 64 bit OS and you a 2.7 GHZ processor, how much RAM can you keep adding until it becomes ineffective because I know with a 64-bit OS you can get up to 128 GB or ram, but would having even 16GB of RAM do anything unless you have an extremely fast processor?

the speed of the cpu does not effect how useful ram is....it is just that most applications will not use more then 4gb of ram, 8gb is overkill for gaming, and is only really useful for apps such as photo shop, for things like this more ram is nice, but even with that, anything over 8gb barely makes a difference....if your not doing things like PS the difference WILL NOT BE NOTICEABLE.

The emergence of the 64-bit architecture effectively increases the memory ceiling to 264 addresses, equivalent to approximately 17.2 billion gigabytes, 16.8 million terabytes, or 16 exabytes of RAM
According to Wikipedia.

But I believe that 64-bit Windows has a 128GB limit, can't remember where I read that. Sounds like bull, actually.

Yes i believe thats the limit for vista. I think server operating systems dont have that limit. Its a limit microsoft has put in there i believe, its not a limit of the 64bit architecture.

Ah, also according to wikipedia:
Most 64-bit microprocessors on the market today have an artificial limit on the amount of memory they can address, because physical constraints make it impossible to support the full 16.8 million terabyte capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom