motherboards that are out now - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 05:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default motherboards that are out now

Hey,

I'm going to start building myself a computer. I'm pretty much going to be playing games on it.

The processor I am looking to buy is AMD Athlon 64 3700+ socket 939. Can anyone recommend a good motherboard which will give me good performance? I'm not planning on trying to overclock on this machine and want a PCI-Express board. I'm not really sure on what graphics card I want for now.

Thanks for any suggestions in helping find a motherboard!

Old 12-19-2005, 05:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS

DFI Lanparty SLI-DR / Ultra-D

Old 12-19-2005, 05:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to HAVOC Send a message via Yahoo to HAVOC
Default Re: motherboards that are out now

Quote:
Originally posted by plus

The processor I am looking to buy is AMD Athlon 64 3700+ socket 939. Can anyone recommend a good motherboard which will give me good performance? I'm not planning on trying to overclock on this machine and want a PCI-Express board. I'm not really sure on what graphics card I want for now.
Well, if you're not planning on Overclocking then the DFI mobos that DJ-CHRIS suggested may not suite you. Yes, they are good mobo's but they are for an overclocker.

A very good motherboard for you would be the MSI Neo4-F s939. It's about $82.50 at newegg.com. It's got plenty of features for the non-overclocker. Yes, it's PCI-express.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130491
Old 12-19-2005, 05:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

Epox 9NPA+Ultra. I looked in 7 different online tech sites that put this board through rigid tests and everyone gave it high marks.

www.AnandTech.com gave it their Gold Medallion Editor's Choice award -- high praise indeed.

Over at www.hardocp.com they really put this board through rigerous tests and gave it a hight rating. Check their site out and go to their Review section and click on motherboards. This board will be there along with others.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

if u are sure u not want to do seriouse overclocking then get the above mentiond msi k8n nero4-f

its a good board and if u ever do want to do some small overclocks it can
1gig PC3200 Geil Value Ram Duel Channel@ddr480 3-3-3-8
Gigabyte 6600GT-PCI-E@580/1.3
Old 12-19-2005, 06:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

this topic helped me maybe i will get the msi k8n neo4-f instead of the DFI lan party UT nF4. I'm not an OC'er.
I kinda already worked out all the other **** I'm gonna buy though.. so compatibility reasons.. will this change anything?

btw.. what is the difference between PCI-e x4 and PCI-e x16 and stuff.. and what does that mean for Cd-roms.. Do I want a x52 cd-rom drive or x16 or what

---
how much r u gonna spend on the computer, plus?
Old 12-19-2005, 06:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks a lot for all your quick replies. The MSI K8N Neo4-F looks very good in my eyes it was just what I was looking for.

dive, the PCI-e x4 bit just means how much bandwidth that slot can give you. 4x is 2.0 GB/s of bandwidth where x16 is 8.0 GB/s of bandwidth and so on. The more bandwidth the better.

Also with my price I am trying to stay under 900 - 1000. Which makes the msi board good because it's not too expensive.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

i would still get the ultra-d,
it's fairly cheap, and a great board, you'll never have any problems and it leaves your options open in case you do ever decide to mess around with overclocking

Closed Thread