Motherboards????

Status
Not open for further replies.
BIOSTAR makes some very inexpensive motherboards that overclock decently well. (the ones with the nvidia 6100 chipset are the best)

depends what u want. any of this motherboard will work. many ppl say that dfi is a great overcloaking they to tell u also that u goona need some very expensive ram to overclock and the draw of the luck to get a cpu that will overclock enough to see a difference(in games you wont)

so i say go with one that is not too expensive. I have a gygabyte and it works. i even overcloaked my 939 amd 64 3000 wini to 3500 speeds(didnt like that high temps or that fact the pc might freeze so i have it stock.)

how exactly do you over clock and if i was using my comp. to game and some media usage would i even need to over clock it i ve had crappy computers all my life so i want to biuld a good one like one with a x2 i proboly don;t even need to overclock that right??

You don't need to overclock. But not overclocking is basically throwing performance down the drain.

To overclock you press Delete on startup to go into the BIOS. From there you increase the FSB and voltages. To read more on the subject, theres a couple of guides on this page http://techist.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=10

so when i look at a athlon 3800 when i hook that up is that running at 3.8ghz or is it lower and over clocking helps it reach its max performance

the athlon 64 3800+ does not urn at 3.8ghz the numbers for amd do not directly translate into their speed it runs at 2.4 ghz

No, the 3800+ runs at 2.4GHz, the 3800 is just a number to give you an idea of the ammount of MHz a Pentium 4 processor would give if it was at equal performance. Overclocking the processor just lets the processor perform to its max potential

idontknow said:
the athlon 64 3800+ does not urn at 3.8ghz the numbers for amd do not directly translate into their speed it runs at 2.4 ghz

Yeah remember a clock cycle means nothing, its the amount of work that gets done during the clock cycle. Pentium 4's may have higher clock cycles but their memory controller is in the motherboards chipset, whereas the Athlon's controllers is on die (in the processor).

Basically it means information has to travel a few nanometers instead of a few inches to get processed. Thats why Athlons do more then Pentiums on less of a clock speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom