Motherboard Suggestions? (Gaming rig) - Page 3 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 09:09 PM   #21 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Default Re: Motherboard Suggestions? (Gaming rig)

Onboard audio should be fine. Unless you're an audio freak or have some nice speakers there isn't a need for a sound card.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:23 PM   #22 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Cool, thanks!

Also, is all of this going to run on a 750w power supply? I have a very nice one. I hope it works.

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

Edit: Never mind, I saw the sticky thread. Should work for my purposes!

Old 09-11-2009, 01:02 AM   #23 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Yeah I run the 750tx and it is a great psu. Fine unless you were running 2 gtx295's or 3 gtx285's

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Old 09-11-2009, 01:37 AM   #24 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefemeister View Post
Yeah I run the 750tx and it is a great psu. Fine unless you were running 2 gtx295's or 3 gtx285's
Yeah, I just got mine in the mail today, and I love it (I haven't even used it yet.) I like the fact that it comes in a velvety pouch like a bottle of Royal Crown. Very chic touch. ;D

So, next question, since I'm pretty much narrowing things down here:

Should I spring for the 260? Or should I SLI a pair of 8800 GTX cards?

Pros, cons? Cause I have NO idea.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:52 AM   #25 (permalink)
Lord Techie

2 8800 gts cards in sli would be nice. I always prefer a single card solution when possible for 2 reasons:

1) less heat in the case.
2) the possibility to add a second card later when they drop in price. 2x gtx260 = 1 gtx295

based upon that I would go for the gtx260. Not to mention the fact I run it and it is a great card.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Old 09-11-2009, 02:04 AM   #26 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefemeister View Post
2 8800 gts cards in sli would be nice. I always prefer a single card solution when possible for 2 reasons:

1) less heat in the case.
2) the possibility to add a second card later when they drop in price. 2x gtx260 = 1 gtx295

based upon that I would go for the gtx260. Not to mention the fact I run it and it is a great card.
Yeah, heat is a concern. Protect your investment, and all that.

260 it is. Any particular brands you recommend? The EVGA one seems to get the highest marks on newegg.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:05 AM   #27 (permalink)
Lord Techie

evga or xfx are my two brands of choice.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:48 PM   #28 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omika_Pearl View Post
Thanks much for that recommendation. I'll get the Noctua, then!

I can tell the MOBO is good, but I kind of want to know why. All I do is gaming (as far as high-end activities go), so I'm wondering if it's worth the extra money. Do most MOBOs these days have sound capability built in, or do I have to buy a seperate sound card? I'm just going to be using headphones, honestly, I'm not going for surround sound or anything (yet.)

Just want to make sure I don't purchase anything superfluous to my needs as a user.
Well I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for. And your mobo is basically in charge of the whole PC. Every other part in the PC is connected to the mobo, so if there's one piece of Hardware not to cheap out on, it's the mobo.

The mobo comes with built-in sound. If it's not up to your standards you can alway buy a sound card later. My advise, give the built-in sound a chance.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:56 PM   #29 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaymate View Post
Well I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for. And your mobo is basically in charge of the whole PC. Every other part in the PC is connected to the mobo, so if there's one piece of Hardware not to cheap out on, it's the mobo.

The mobo comes with built-in sound. If it's not up to your standards you can alway buy a sound card later. My advise, give the built-in sound a chance.
Well all I can discern being different between the two MOBOs is the number of features/ports, and I dunno if I really need all of that. Plus, the price difference is enormous (I can get a combo deal with a 260 if I get the cheaper MOBO, plus $40 in rebates.)

The only issue with the less expensive one is that the northbridge apparently gets hot, but I can always get a better heatsink.

Closed Thread