Motherboard Selection Blues - Help Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacDaddyGator

In Runtime
I am ready to purchase, but I am conflicted on the motherboard. I am planning on buying the GIGABYTE P-35 DS3P ($159.99 with $10 rebate), because I need firewire and everyone keeps pushing the Gigabyte boards for overclocking. Here is my proposed build:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz $284.99
2 Patriot eXtreme Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800(PC2 6400) $110.99 with $50 rebate. (total of 4gb)
2 Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD $189.99 with $15 rebate RAID 0
EVGA 320-P2-N811-AR GeForce 8800GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready $289.99 with $20 rebate
SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22" 2 ms (GTG) $319.99 with $20 rebate
Microsoft Windows Vista 64-Bit Ultimate $199.99
Tuniq Tower 120 P4 & K8 CPU Cooler $64.99
Antec 900 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Case CompUSA $109 with $30 rebate (already purchased)
LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner LightScribe Black SATA Model $39.99

$1,832.90 plus motherboard

I am considering using this computer for video and photo editing and some gaming. I am also considering getting a TV capture card.

What other motherboards should I be considering and why?
Do I need anything else? Thermal paste?
Any other comments on build are appreciated.

asus p5k deluxe.. its the best Quad-core OC'ing board out now... that or the gigabyte p35-ds3r if u wanna save some cash

Everyone knows what I'm going to say and I know everyone will shoot me down for it, but I reallly love the Asus Striker Extreme. The board is utterly beautiful, and powerful. And Asus is working on it more and more and releasing BIOS after BIOS, each one sporting something new.

It is the ultimate overclocker, and the ultimate beast. Runs cool, and also has cooling techniques that diverts heat away from the CPU.

I can tell you anything about the board, just ask. It's amazing, and no one who knows what they're doing will be disappointed.

judging by your set-up, you don't seem to want all top of the line gear, nor does it look like you plan on doing much gaming, and probably will never run in SLI mode. So I would say the board is not for you. 680i May be a bit useless for you, so I think possibly the P5B Delux or similar.

Goodluck

As to gaming, you never know. I didn't think I would be much of a gamer when my wife bought me a PS3. I play on that almost every day. I expect that I will buy a few games for the computer, but I don't anticipate it dominating my life. I don't think I will use the SLI mode.

But anyway, tell me what is so great about the Asus Striker Extreme. What makes it worth $299?

The ASUS Striker Extreme is actually not that much better, compared to it's cheaper high end counter parts. I wouldn't say it's worth it. It's just too much for a motherboard.

the Striker is such a bad investment in my opinion
its so overpriced and imo boards like the GB DS3R, ABIT IP35 Pro, MSI P35 Premium, and Asus P5K series area ll better option then the striker

im probably going to try and pick up an ABIT IP35 Pro

Is there any advantage to the fact that the GIGABYTE GA-P35C-DS3R is ready for upgrade with DDR3 and 45nm compatible? I keep thinking that for a few extra dollars, it is worth it to have flexibility for the future. I dont actually understand if it would be an advantage in the future or if there are no realistic circumstances where you would use the ddr3 or the 45nm. Can someone please explain this for me.

The next generation of RAM and Procs is on the horizon. If you have the option, I'd definetly go with it. That is, if the board is of good quality itself. But then again it won't be a dedicated DDR3 or 45nm board, so it may not be as good as what will come out in the future for it.

Does it mean that you can use both types of RAM at the same time, or will I have to toss my DDR2 RAM if I want to upgrade to DDR3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom