Motherboard help - Can't decide

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkonjibhu

Baseband Member
So next month I am looking to build a new system, either an E6600 or an E6750. Problem is, I'm really stuck on picking a motherboard. I decided on going for the 650i, but other than that, I can't decide.

My choices are:
MSI P6N- Newegg.com - MSI P6N SLI-FI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Abit Fatal1ty - Newegg.com - ABIT Fatal1ty FP-IN9 SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Asus P5N-E - Newegg.com - ASUS P5N-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Now I'm really considering the Fatal1ty board, and maybe the P5N. Just wondering if anyone had experience with these (particularly the Abit), and know how they fare based on moderate OC'ing (maybe an E6600 to 3.0-3.2Ghz), and just overall stability.

Thanks.

Don't get the Fatal1ty board....it is not worth the money and really isn't that good either. You should know that anything with the name Fatal1ty is worth about 30% less than what its priced at becuase of the name.

Either of those two boards are good though. The P5N-E overclocks a little better I think but it's harder to work with. The P6N Platinum is very good as well.

Agreed with Sora. Anything with the name Fatal1ty, is just for looks and not so much performance.

I have the P5N-E, and it does overclock well. But it does take alot of tinkering, to do it well. If you have the money, then I would go with Sora's suggestion on the Platinum.

What is the difference between the SLI-FI and Platinum besides the copper heatsinks, and the Platinum having two more USB ports than the SLI-FI?

Yes they have the heatpipes, more SATA ports and whatnot. They are just an overall higher quality board but the P6N SLI-FI is a very good board as well. It's really a toss up honestly becuase the P5N-E is very good but the BIOS are a bit confusing and it's a little hard to overclock.

with Fatal1ty products u pay for the name.... but p5n-e and p6n is really good!!!

Yes they have the heatpipes, more SATA ports and whatnot. They are just an overall higher quality board but the P6N SLI-FI is a very good board as well. It's really a toss up honestly becuase the P5N-E is very good but the BIOS are a bit confusing and it's a little hard to overclock.

Yes it is...took me a long time to get it right. But once you get the right sweet spots, it overclocks really well. I booted into Windows for 3 secs, at 3.7GHz.....lol...just need more cooling.

Well, I understand the Fatal1ty is overpriced, but disregarding price (since I found it for a nice rebate), does it compare to these other boards or it is just a piece of junk with some guys name on it?

I'm also curious about the ASUS. I remember there were models with no heatsink on the South Bridge I believe, but this one on Newegg has one. Is it just a revised model, or a mistake?

I believe it's revised. I bought it when it first came out, so mine didn't have a SB heatsink on.

For Fatal1ty products, forget them. Some of your money, is going into the name "Fatal1ty" itself.

I'd go for either MSI P6N motherboard.

The new P5N-E's have a SB heatsink on them so don't worry about it. The Fatal1ty is probably ok but it's just not worth what it costs becuase the name "Fatal1ty" has to be bought by the company therefore the quality of it for 125 bucks is probably more like 100 without the name.

Well I guess that just made my decision easier. I just hope the P6N won't have any issues with the E6x50's coming out since that's the build I am aiming for I believe (either E6750 or E6600 - depending on pricing).

Thanks a bunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom