Motherboard Chipsets

Status
Not open for further replies.

bum

In Runtime
So the question remains which motherboard chipset is best? and to answer that I kinda need to know what the chipsets actually do. (anyone)?

I'm looking for a motherboard that can overclock insanely (I'm getting an opteron). I was going to get SLI just so that like a couple years from now (when my card is cheaper) I can upgrade, but if nForce4 ultra chips are better then screw it.

I do see the light in spending more to get a better board but it has to be alot better.

and for your reference I was gonna get this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813138272
Mainly because I've heard Its great for opterons and not to mention cheap too.

the nvidia nf4 chipsets are always good performers
avoid the ATI SD450 southbridge used by the RD480 chipset
get a DFI if you insist on the best OCing performance although MSI are also great in this area
the difference between the two that b1gapl mentioned is that the first uses the nforce4 ultra and the second uses the nforce4 SLi
if you need more info, PM me

What I want to know more is which chip should I get? Like nF4 ultra chips, do they make things faster or is it just a nF4 chip with acouple extra feature (which I probly won't use). Basically I'm asking whats the difference? What do these different chips do? I need to understand that to make a smart choice on which one to get.

Get either the DFI Lanparty Ultra-d (for non-SLI) or the DFI Lanparty SLI-DR. The Ultra-d has two PCIe x16 slots but the chipset isn't SLI (but can be modded into one). The DFI Lanparty boards are the best AMD boards for overclocking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom