motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Make sure the new mobo is the rigth form factor for your case (microATX, ATX, or BTX, its usually ATX). Make sure your current components (ie processor, ram, gpu) match the new mobo. Also, you'll have to reinstall your os, so start backing up any data you want to keep :p. If your using windows, you'll have to call them up and get a new key, too. Its supposed to be about a 30 min question anwser kinda deal, and they'll give you a new key. I think thats the major things to watch out for.

Also why would you want to just upgrade the mobo? Usually ppl upgrade the mobo when they upgrade to a new procesor that needs a different socket. Just wondering :p.

Edit: forgot to ask if its a prebuilt? If it is then you'll have to get a new os too. The OS's that come with prebuilts are specifically for the mobo that it came with.

if its a store prebuilt I wouldnt touch it with a 10 foot poll. If its custom made I would go ahead and do a memory, cpu, and board switch. What kind of system do you got first of all? And yes for an experienced person its really simple. I can switch out a motherboard and be up and running in 15 minutes. For a new person who has never done it probly an hour if they get it all put back together right.

Your best bet is to carefully examine the motherboard you have in now previous to taking it out. Do this because the connections you see are most likely going to be in a different spot on the new mobo. Your problem connections are most likely going to be your power and reset buttons with the associated lights. Its really a simple process all in all ,if its your first time take it slow. Be sure you have a clean, static free work area and go at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom