Most effective performance boost?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattlovell

Beta member
Hello all,

I'm looking to boost my pc's gaming performance as cost effectively as possible. Currently I run...

Intel core duo 1.4ghz
2gb ram
2x 8800gt sli
32 bit windows xp

I have been looking at gtx295's but this seems a very costly gtx upgrade and doesn't sound like it will be worth the money. Also, I am worried a 295 would be held back by my CPU. So maybe upgrading to a quad core 2.5 ghz for 100 quid would be better?

Thanks in advance

I have been looking at the q8300 on aria... I take it from what you said that won't work with my mb?

It was not on the cpu support list from asus I linked so I would be leery of it unless you can confirm via asus that it will work.

It was not on the cpu support list from asus I linked so I would be leery of it unless you can confirm via asus that it will work.

The motherboard will support a Q9505. The motherboard's site says it'll support 45nm processors, so a Q8xxx SHOULD work. There have been a few cases that people have got the Q8xxx to work on the same board.

The motherboard will support a Q9505. The motherboard's site says it'll support 45nm processors, so a Q8xxx SHOULD work. There have been a few cases that people have got the Q8xxx to work on the same board.

the q9505 does look good. but they are a tad expensive. i'd suggest getting a cheap e8x00 series.

I don't think the 650i chipset supports the 45nm quads. At least the 680i I had didn't. It only supported the 45nm duo's.

IIRC 45nm quad support was added to the 7x0i series.

^ the 650i's have a little better support for the 45nm quads.

and plus it says it supports the q9505 on the asus website. and yes, the 680i does not support the 45nm quads ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom