Most Bang for the Buck, AMD vs. Intel??? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-21-2010, 11:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 199
Send a message via AIM to bomt697
Default Most Bang for the Buck, AMD vs. Intel???

Looking to buy a CPU around 2-250, but not sure which to go with. am looking for a cpu that will give me the most amount of performance and last me for a good min. thanks for the advice
__________________

__________________
if it was up to me, my sound system would be worth more then the latest and greatest comp.

-Gigabite 880 mobo
-AMD FX -8350 Black edition
-Kingston Hyper X 16gigs
-Western Digital 1Tb HD
-GeForce GTX 660Ti
-thermaltake 850watt psu
-logitech Z-55oo speakers
bomt697 is offline  
Old 08-21-2010, 12:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
 
patonb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In Gov't Regulated Cubical
Posts: 9,745
Default Re: Most Bang for the Buck, AMD vs. Intel???

AMD has the best bang for the buck. You can get a decent quad for what intel wants for their duals.

Most AMDs are under 200. where as Intels are 250 or more.
__________________

__________________
Foldie = i5 6600kMSI Z170A M5 EVGA 970 SC Corsair H100 Corsair hx520 2x8gb GSkill Corsair 650D
Woohoo = L5639 @3.1Ghz EVGA SR-2 gtx 260-216 Hyper 212+ Corsair 1050hx 6x2gb Corsair XMS3 Blackhawk Ulra
Alienware 18 - SLI 770M 4700mq 16Gig

patonb is offline  
Old 08-21-2010, 12:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Spaceballs Mega-Maid
Posts: 783
Send a message via AIM to RichM499 Send a message via Yahoo to RichM499
Default Re: Most Bang for the Buck, AMD vs. Intel???

I would agree with patonb for the most part. If you're going to spend less than $200 on a processor then buy AMD. If you're going to spend more than $200 buy Intel because they are clearly faster.
Don't buy an i5 or an i3 though. You'd be better off getting a Phenom II x4 than an i5. You'd be better off getting an i7 than a Phenom II x6. In terms of pure gaming performance I mean.

If you want super duper multi-tasking power and media encoding strength, then go for a Phenom II x6.
RichM499 is offline  
Old 08-21-2010, 01:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 199
Send a message via AIM to bomt697
Default Re: Most Bang for the Buck, AMD vs. Intel???

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichM499 View Post
I would agree with patonb for the most part. If you're going to spend less than $200 on a processor then buy AMD. If you're going to spend more than $200 buy Intel because they are clearly faster.
Don't buy an i5 or an i3 though. You'd be better off getting a Phenom II x4 than an i5. You'd be better off getting an i7 than a Phenom II x6. In terms of pure gaming performance I mean.

If you want super duper multi-tasking power and media encoding strength, then go for a Phenom II x6.
I would only be doing gaming and maybe rarely doing some lite photo/video editiing. Most games right now barely can use a quad core to its fully potential, so a hexacore would be just a was of money?
__________________
if it was up to me, my sound system would be worth more then the latest and greatest comp.

-Gigabite 880 mobo
-AMD FX -8350 Black edition
-Kingston Hyper X 16gigs
-Western Digital 1Tb HD
-GeForce GTX 660Ti
-thermaltake 850watt psu
-logitech Z-55oo speakers
bomt697 is offline  
Old 08-21-2010, 02:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Spaceballs Mega-Maid
Posts: 783
Send a message via AIM to RichM499 Send a message via Yahoo to RichM499
Default Re: Most Bang for the Buck, AMD vs. Intel???

Yes for now it wouldn't be your best option to buy a hexacore. If I were you I would buy a Phenom II x4 because it's inexpensive, easily overclocked to 4~ghz on air, will power through any game out right now, and doesn't use much power.
RichM499 is offline  
Old 08-21-2010, 10:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

\_(ツ)_/
 
Trotter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The South
Posts: 31,307
Default Re: Most Bang for the Buck, AMD vs. Intel???

The Phenom II x4 965 will give you roughly the same performance as Intel's i5 750 with the cost of $165 vs $195. The biggest difference is in the cost of the motherboards, though, as AM3 boards tend to be much less expensive for the most part (you can always find stupidly expensive boards if you want them).

The Phenom II x6 1055T is $200, BTW.
__________________


My Rig: SABLE
Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / ASUS GeForce GTX 960 GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB
2x4GB DDR3 1600 - 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win10 Ent 64-bit - Mionix Naos 7000 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard


R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Trotter is offline  
Old 08-21-2010, 10:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: /bin/bash
Posts: 261
Default Re: Most Bang for the Buck, AMD vs. Intel???

I say go with the AMD--dollar for dollar you can't beat AMD considering the performance and price
NoNameNY is offline  
Old 08-21-2010, 10:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 199
Send a message via AIM to bomt697
Default Re: Most Bang for the Buck, AMD vs. Intel???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotter View Post
The Phenom II x4 965 will give you roughly the same performance as Intel's i5 750 with the cost of $165 vs $195. The biggest difference is in the cost of the motherboards, though, as AM3 boards tend to be much less expensive for the most part (you can always find stupidly expensive boards if you want them).

The Phenom II x6 1055T is $200, BTW.

u make a good point about the price difference..... but there is a big 600mhz difference btw the two. isnt that a little more then negligible?
__________________
if it was up to me, my sound system would be worth more then the latest and greatest comp.

-Gigabite 880 mobo
-AMD FX -8350 Black edition
-Kingston Hyper X 16gigs
-Western Digital 1Tb HD
-GeForce GTX 660Ti
-thermaltake 850watt psu
-logitech Z-55oo speakers
bomt697 is offline  
Old 08-21-2010, 11:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Spaceballs Mega-Maid
Posts: 783
Send a message via AIM to RichM499 Send a message via Yahoo to RichM499
Default Re: Most Bang for the Buck, AMD vs. Intel???

Intel's architecture is such that clock for clock it's doing much better than AMD. Which is why Trotter said the i7 750 and Phenom II x4 965 are roughly the same performance. If you overclock then things change dramatically, but you're paying a big premium for Intel.

Don't forget that AMD is coming out with a new chip. They won a 1.8 billion dollar settlement from Intel, and I think it's safe to assume that some of that money went into Research and Development of a new core. I wouldn't count them out yet on the clock for clock performance game, but they are definitely top dogs of the performance vs price segment.
RichM499 is offline  
Old 08-21-2010, 11:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: /bin/bash
Posts: 261
Default Re: Most Bang for the Buck, AMD vs. Intel???

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichM499 View Post
Intel's architecture is such that clock for clock it's doing much better than AMD. Which is why Trotter said the i7 750 and Phenom II x4 965 are roughly the same performance. If you overclock then things change dramatically, but you're paying a big premium for Intel.

Don't forget that AMD is coming out with a new chip. They won a 1.8 billion dollar settlement from Intel, and I think it's safe to assume that some of that money went into Research and Development of a new core. I wouldn't count them out yet on the clock for clock performance game, but they are definitely top dogs of the performance vs price segment.
Plus keep in mind Intel was forcing some software developers to design in favor if Intel
__________________

NoNameNY is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Bang for Buck!? Construct System Upgrades 11 02-10-2009 12:14 PM
Better bang for buck lonz358 System Upgrades 11 01-20-2009 03:14 PM
what is the best bang for the buck CPU right now? Sirius_GTO New Systems | Building and Buying 24 10-04-2007 06:13 PM
Bang for my Buck Rookie_Tech New Systems | Building and Buying 17 01-03-2007 10:33 AM
bang for your buck DevilsChild Monitors, Printers and Peripherals 16 05-18-2005 08:36 AM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.