more upgrade questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

phosphorousgobu

Baseband Member
Hey all. A while back, I had a lovely build planned. Due to apartment expenses, it ain't happenin.

But, I'm still not too satisfied with the way my current computer plays Counter-Strike Source. I play offline games (no high-speed internet :( ) with bots. I'll set up a game, and tell it to give me 19 bots, so I can be number 20. Two teams, 10 each. Whee. It gives me crappy frame rates in places. I have a little trouble with CS_Office, and more trouble with De_nuke, especially outside. It makes sniping VERY hard when the crosshairs are all jerky and stuff. I don't remember what it's like to play online. Does playing with human players give better frame rates (because it doesn't have to do the bot calculations/etc?)

Regardless, the only viable upgrade I can see is the video card. I have a ATI Radeon X850 Pro video card, that I paid a lot of money for. Apparently, nVidias are better (Don't flame me, I've searched and read the other posts) for what I need to do. Pssh. Even though the fricken box said that Half-Life 2 was optimized for ATI. Whatever. So, this nVidia card is going to have to be AGP, because I don't have/can't afford a lovely new pci-e/sli mobo right now. So, I've got three candidates here:

new egg search results

I'm not a video card genius, so I'm asking you guys...which one do you think I should get?

Sorry.

AMD Athlon 64 3400+
2 Gigz RAM
160 Gig HD
ATI Radeon X850 Pro
Win XP Pro

I'm not sure why I got the iffy Counter-Strike frame rates. I thought that maybe AMD processors just sucked, but that misassumption was corrected on a previous post of mine. If AMD processors are cool, then I'm guessing it's my video card. People have said it's an okay card, but it ain't no nVidia. So, which of those three cards from above hyperlink should I go for, if you please?

Thanks.

dude, the x850 pro should handle it fine, maybe turn off shadows or lighting in game or set them 1 step lower,, lighting and shadows are frames per second killer,s , seriiously,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom