More help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ellothar121

In Runtime
Hey, long time no see, tech forums people :D

I'm still running F@H, like I promised someone here... But I'm not sure how much I'm helping; My dad turns it off at odd hours.

So, I built my rig! Around June 8th, 2007, I put together a list of stuff I wanted to buy, and asked my parents what they thought. My dad conferred with my brother over the next week, we changed a few things, but I ended up with about the same thing. My mom actually convinced my dad to let me get a 19" version of the 17" LCD I wanted to get :D Before that, my dad was just going to give me an old 17" CRT. o.o Yeah, so I ordered it June 18th, the stuff got there June 20th, and I built it June 21st :D Small problems, but I turned it on and installed Vista on June 22nd!

So thanks, guys :D

Anyways, so Christmas is coming up... And I want to upgrade it. I currently have:

Intel C2D E4300 @ 1.8GHz
eVGA nVidia 7600GS
2x512MB DDR2 @ 800 ~ [ 2GB Total
1x1024MB DDR2 @ 667 ~[ RAM
160GB Western Digital HDD (SATA, 7200RPM)
1x DVD+/-RW
Vista Home Premium

I want to upgrade to the list below eventually, and I wanted to know what my priorities should be; I've got a pretty good idea of what I want first, but I wanted to know what you guys thought:

Core 2 Duo 6600 @ 3.0Ghz
EVGA GeForce 8600GTS 512MB 128-bit
4x1024MB 800Mhz DDR2 RAM
500GB (SATA, 160GB + 500GB, 7200RPM)
Another DVD+/-RW

well i dont know how the 8600gts compares with the 7600 gs, but i would say upgrading your video card would be the best bet if you play a lot of game. Maybe even the processor. Do you mean Quad core Q6600? i wasnt aware the was a C2D 6600.

well i dont know how the 8600gts compares with the 7600 gs, but i would say upgrading your video card would be the best bet if you play a lot of game. Maybe even the processor. Do you mean Quad core Q6600? i wasnt aware the was a C2D 6600.

There is a C2Q 6600. Since your aiming high, get a eVGA 8800gts 320mb.

^ That I do.

I was going to go for an 8800GTS, but the prices are outrageous >_<

Instead, I'm going to get one 8600GTS now and plan on SLIing them at a later date.

So,

1. GFX Card
2. RAM
3. CPU
4. HDD
5. DVD

D'you think so?

^ That I do.

I was going to go for an 8800GTS, but the prices are outrageous >_<

Instead, I'm going to get one 8600GTS now and plan on SLIing them at a later date.

So,

1. GFX Card
2. RAM
3. CPU
4. HDD
5. DVD

D'you think so?

SLI is a bad idea with 8600 cards...trust me just get one card for now and when you want to upgrade sell your old card and buy a single more powerful.

SLi requires a more expensive power supply, gives off more heat, as well as right now the P35 boards are the best for the money and they don't offer SLI.

Also if you are using XP then 2GB of ram is plenty. Even in Vista 2GB gets the job done right now just fine. only one game I believe even uses more than 2GB, and it's not worth 4GB just yet.

Why don't you give me a budget of what you want to spend...i will put together one that would be right at the moment. By Christmas though there will probably be better so you can't expect to keep this build the same.

There isn't really a budget, seeing as how I'm going to be buying parts on a piece-by-piece basis...

I just need a general idea of what I should or shouldn't be spending money on.

Oh, and the GeForce 9 series is coming out next month, right? For the same prices as their 8xxx counterparts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom