Monitors for gaming help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sacza

Beta member
Hello

I am close to completing my new build but there are a couple of parts that im still not made up on.

1) What would be the best LCD monitor to get the best gaming performance with a 5870 from? I have choosen this one but thats because it was cheap.

Iiyama ProLite E2407HDSD 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor [PLE2407HDSD-B] 24" LCD Iiyama ProLite E2407HDSD 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor [PLE2407HDSD-B] 24" LCD

I have been reading some other threads on similar topics and it appears that there are different monitors for different needs eg. HD Movies or Gaming.

One last question...

2) My favourite game is Football Manager, a game that relies on good RAM, now I have gone with 6GB 1600MHz but would 6GB of 2000MHz make much difference? also would 12GB of 16000MHz see much improvement?

Thanks to anyone that can help!

I think I will stick with that monitor then as it is appears to be the best priced one of good quality.

Regards to the RAM, lets say I just stick to 6GB, is there a huge difference in quality between 2000Mhz and the 1600MHz? as there is definatly a difference in price! :lol:

Thanks for your help so far!

If you want a monitor for gaming "input lag" is more important than response time.
If you run the monitor at 60 Hz as long as the response time is less than 16.667ms it doesn't really matter. (8.333ms GTG)
Response time is used as a marketing ploy, it's hardly ever what really makes a difference between monitors these days, as even IPS and *VA panels nowadays have fast enough response times to eliminate ghosting.

The input lag in modern monitors is not improving by that much though, and it's also the reason most LCD companies don't advertise their monitor's input lag.

Response time is faster so it sounds nicer.
I wouldn't want to advertise an input lag of 100ms when every other LCD advertises response times of 5ms or less.
It would be marketing suicide to advertise your input lag.
Input lag is the real villain when it comes to being a gaming monitor or not.

If you can find a review where they measure the input lag would probably be very useful.

I've played on monitors with slow input lag in the past.
I'd rather shoot myself in the foot than be forced to play an FPS on a monitor with heavy input lag.
It's like trying to play after drinking several shots of Everclear or something.
You press a button and it takes a moment for the monitor to display the change, so if you're moving or trying to avoid enemies, you have to actually predict where the enemies will be in order to strafe properly.
On games like Halo 3, I found such a feat to be near impossible.

(I played on a large screen plasma television with HEAVY input lag during a tournament once. Apparently they didn't do a pre-tournament check of the screens. The other team had like a 24" Vizio and wiped my team out... They didn't let us get a replay in our bracket even though after our match they agreed the input lag sucked and they stopped using that monitor.)
It was really bs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom