Monitor/Video Card Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riznarf

In Runtime
So, I'm kind of a newb in the whole computer building buisness, but, I'm thinking about buying the following monitor:

Newegg.com - SCEPTRE X20WG-1080P Black 20.1" 5ms(GTG) 1080P HDCP supported Windows Vista Certified DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1 Built in Speakers - Retail

First off, any comments on that monitor or any better ones? I don't want to spend much more than $200 on a monitor.

Now the max resolution is 1680x1050 so I'll probably be running my games at, or near that resolution.

My question is, would a 8800gtx really be fully optimized on only a 20.1" screen at that resolution? Basically, what I'm asking, is would I be just as well off with an 8800gts 640MB and save myself some money? Or would I really notice a difference with the 8800gtx on the above (or comparable) monitor?

Thanks, as always for your input.

My question is, would a 8800gtx really be fully optimized on only a 20.1" screen at that resolution? Basically, what I'm asking, is would I be just as well off with an 8800gts 640MB and save myself some money? Or would I really notice a difference with the 8800gtx on the above (or comparable) monitor?

Thanks, as always for your input.
I've been wondering that too. I mean, it's quite a bit of money difference between the two. Is there that much difference.

I would go with the GTS 320 becuase anything bigger is where 640 helps but for future games 640 is a safe bet. The GTS gives a better price/performance ratio and with only a 20.1 monitor I suggest it. Not that the GTX won't eventually becomes useful on that screen but that the GTS is just a better bang for your buck.

i would say the 640 but not 320. with a screen at the res. i would say the 640 as it apparently comes more usfel for high res and more future proof. but if u do end up saving money and go for 320 sora is right better for money

How would this sound:

Say I got the 8800gts 640mb for now, and then in a few years should I upgrade my monitor, or need a better card for whatever reason, i could just to 8000gts's SLI? Any comments on that?

How would this sound:

Say I got the 8800gts 640mb for now, and then in a few years should I upgrade my monitor, or need a better card for whatever reason, i could just to 8000gts's SLI? Any comments on that?

In a few years, there will be a single graphic card, that will crush SLIed 8800GTSs.

In a few years, there will be a single graphic card, that will crush SLIed 8800GTSs.

true that

think of it this way...an 8800gtx will crush sli'd 7900gt's. and they're a little more than a year apart? and rougly the same price on their release.

If you want to be with a "safe bet" like someone said early then go with the GTS 640mb, but if you want to save money you can go with the 320mb version. Both versions are the same the difference is the memory thats all, both performs identical but when you crank up the resolutions above 1600 x 1200 the 640mb should handle the games more "smoothly" because of the more memory it has.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom