Monitor Refresh Rate - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 02-17-2010, 09:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default Monitor Refresh Rate

Not sure if this is in the right section, but here goes:

I have a 22" LCD monitor (the LG Flatron L227WTG). It's default resolution and refresh rate is 1680x1050 @ 60hz. When I first hooked it up, the maximum detected refresh rate was 60hz, and all the specifications I can find for it say that that is the maximum or recommended refresh rate (for that resolution.) However I can push it up to 75hz in the nVidia control panel, and it is detected in the monitor's OSD as 1680x1050 @ 75hz.

My question is whether or not this is harmful to the monitor? I've read some things on the internet about LCDs not really having refresh rates and all that mumbo jumbo--but I can definitely tell the difference between 60hz and 75hz in my games. Running the monitor at this refresh rate doesn't seem to be making any strange noises, corrupted images, or anything bad looking. Do you think it is okay that I have it on this refresh rate all the time? Or will it degrade the life of my monitor?

Thanks for any help in advance.
AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz | Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P | Crucial 2GB DDR3@1333 | BFG GeForce 9800GTX | X-Fi XtremeMusic
Closed Thread