Monitor for photo editing - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 09-28-2010, 05:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default Monitor for photo editing

hmm people said my syncmaster 24" is only good for gaming but ok for photo editing and that made me wonder and tried to look for a nice but cheap monitor for photo editing.

also im using 5870 ATI so yeh I want to pull out the power of this gpu to work with the monitor for photo editing.

some members from the photography forum said that IPS is much better for photo editing than TN monitor like my syncmaster 24" P2450.

difference between IPS and TN monitor?

budget 120-150

Old 09-28-2010, 05:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie
Default Re: Monitor for photo editing

my Brother does some pretty hard core photo editing on his 10" Net book, you dont need a fancy monitor... yours will do just fine.

Modded Raidmax Hyperion Case
MSI Z97M Gaming
16gigs Corsair Vengeance 1866mhz
SLI GTX 980s
Samsung 830 Series 128gig SSD
EVGA G2 850W power supply
2x Alphacool ST30 240mm, 1x Alphacool ST30 120mm, swiftech Micro res, Enzotech Rev A. CPU water block, Full Coverage EKWB GPU blocks, modded Vari MCP655 pump
LG 34UM95 21:9 Ultrawide 3440x1440 monitor
Old 09-29-2010, 08:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

hmm well yeah but when it comes to photography i think correct color is a must but if its just photo manipulate like gfx works then maybe its fine.

still any other thoughts?
Old 09-29-2010, 11:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

If you want a color-accurate monitor for professional level color matching and such then go with an IPS panel (they're pretty expensive but have a very consistent color response across the panel and have a wide viewing angle). If you go that route you can buy various devices to tune the monitor for perfect color response. If you aren't editing at that professional level then I would just suggest a normal TN panel. TN panels do not have as great of color response (they are getting much better but I think are still limited to 6 bit color internally) and sometimes have color differences between areas of the screen (may be brighter at the bottom or top, etc). TN panels do have a better response time than IPS so they are recommended for gaming (need to be able to change view quickly and don't want ghosting). TN panels have a reduced viewing angle (if you look at them from extreme angles the colors can look way off, mine looks yellowish from an angle) so you should look directly at them. That said, TN panels are much cheaper than IPS panels.

I have 3 Dell ST2210's which are TN and the colors are bright and vivid but with a multi-monitor setting you look at the side monitors at an angle and the colors do seem a bit off so I have to look directly at them for the colors to be right. I used an IPS panel at work over the summer and it had good color but I'm not sure it was worth the $400 price tag. I think if pictures look good on your current monitor just stick with it, you don't need an expensive IPS panel to do photo editing if it's just personal photos.

Closed Thread