Monitor Help - Add. to Beta Build Thread - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 11:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Question Monitor Help - Add. to Beta Build Thread

I know we all just buckled down and helped me out with my over all build... though, I felt the need to start a small thread about the monitor... one of the last unsure decisions I have to make.

Right now I "loosely" had my eye on the LG L206WTY-BF Black 20" 2ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor W/ f-Engine and Tilt Adjustment

My reasons as I said, are weak... just basically because my friend was harping and harping, and a die hard fan of LG... the monitor was a decent size... I've been accustom to 19" so... size isn't that big of a deal, but it doesn't have to be 19, no smaller though...

The other reason I selected this one was because the contrast ratio was listed as 3000:1... seems like the reviewers are saying it's actually a 5000:1 ratio though...

I read a little bit of Sora's guides... on the whole monitor bit, which put me in deeper questions about the integrity of monitors...

I do play games, and I do a lot of photoshopping, photography, photomanipulation, web design, graphic design, 3d Modeling, gaming... etc etc... so picture is somewhat of a big deal to me...

What do you all think?

Old 10-04-2007, 01:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Corrupt Techie

Default Re: Monitor Help - Add. to Beta Build Thread

Depending on your budget, I'd really recommend a 22" monitor. It makes a big difference... at least for me. I came from a 19" CRT. My brother got a Widescreen, and it was only 19", but it seemed smaller than my 19" CRT, so I decided to go for a 22" widescreen.

I see this one recommended around here quite often as a 'top end' monitor if you can be convinced:
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22" 2 ms (GTG) DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 700:1(DC 3000:1) - Retail

Old 10-04-2007, 04:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Re: Monitor Help - Add. to Beta Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by aetherh4cker View Post
Depending on your budget, I'd really recommend a 22" monitor. It makes a big difference... at least for me. I came from a 19" CRT. My brother got a Widescreen, and it was only 19", but it seemed smaller than my 19" CRT, so I decided to go for a 22" widescreen.

I see this one recommended around here quite often as a 'top end' monitor if you can be convinced:
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22" 2 ms (GTG) DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 700:1(DC 3000:1) - Retail
I could actually believe that as far as a 19" LCD appearing to smaller than a CRT... that happens with me with SDTV's and HDTV's if that makes any sense...

I wonder what the deal is with newegg and these monitors, unless theres something I'm not catching...

"a 1000:1 contrast ratio (DCR 3000:1) for outstanding clarity."

though the title/specifications state it's only 700:1, 3000:1 DCR.... which if I remember right, does the Dynamic Contrast Ration matter as much as the Standard Contrast Ratio?
Closed Thread