Monitor cables

Status
Not open for further replies.

Comdot

In Runtime
What's the score with monitor cables? I just swapped one VGA cable for another and am getting better colours and more brightness! I have an IBM ThinkVision C220P 22" CRT jobby. It can take DVI-A and DVI-B. Will I get EVEN MORE colours and beautifulness with DVI-B than this VGA cord? Also, I tried a Belkin VGA cable which was about a million metres long and noticed loads of ghosting! Odd since I got it out of an unopened packet!

My 22" goes up to 2048x1536 if that is relevant.

Cheers

-Com

Maybe your settings reseted? DVI will give better color than VGA. DVI cable should also help with distance.

not more colors but a higher quality picture, when you use vga the video outputs is digital, converted to analog then back to digital before being displayed on the screen. With a dvi cable there is no conversion from digital to analog, so a pure digital signal and a cleaner picture.

Maybe your settings reseted? DVI will give better color than VGA. DVI cable should also help with distance.

My settings stayed the same. I think it must be something to do with the condition of the cables... hence the very long Belkin cable gave a ghosting effect. Thanks for the tip on DVI distance.

not more colors but a higher quality picture, when you use vga the video outputs is digital, converted to analog then back to digital before being displayed on the screen. With a dvi cable there is no conversion from digital to analog, so a pure digital signal and a cleaner picture.

Ah interesting. Well my gfx card has a couple of digital outputs... I use a DVI-VGA adaptor to enable me to use a VGA cable. If not more colours then what? Just more clarity/ brightness/ colour-differentation/ speed?

I finally have the answer to my question about whether or not I should use my optional DVI connection :)

DVI-D Cable (Digital Video) Technology - DVIHDMICables.com

In order to determine your required bandwidth just multiply your desired resolution by your desired refresh rate (ie. 1600x1200 x 70 = 134 MHz).

So for me that will be 2048 x 1536 = 315 MHz which equates to a dual link DVI-D cable. It seems many people are having problems with their bandwidth! Just check out the reviews of DVI cables on Amazon... Amazon.co.uk: Belkin F2E4141b10-DD - DVI Flat Panel Replacement Cable: Electronics & Photo

*opens wallet for credit card* :snob:

well first of all 2048x1536 = 3,145,728 = 3 mhz
If u add the 70 hz like in the other calculation
2048 x 1536 x 70 = 220,200,960 = 220 mhz

math sucks.....i hate math...............requires u to think

/sarcasm

i like using DVI, however i dont see a huge difference from VGA, except my screen being more clearer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom