Moderate gaming build $1k

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is interesting, so if someone abuses RMAs on cpus they are likely to have their RMAs questioned - makes sense.
I don't know what triggers Intel or AMD to question things, any more than I know what really causes Microsoft to occasionally question re-authentications! Or what causes the RIAA to go after individual music downloaders while they apparently let others slide. I just know that sometimes, it happens.

@Roark, I agree that is a good idea, but I don't see how it will prevent these distractions. Just having it there in another forum will not bring attention to it in this forum. So if say "an after market cooler will violate your warranty" or if I post a link to a sticky that says the same thing, there will still be those who don't want others to be informed of that information and will challenge me on it - even though, I am just the messenger. These are not my policies. And I was not expressing my opinions either as my opinions about those facts are immaterial.

Many who are informed are appreciative of the information because they can free up the money they would have spent on the aftermarket cooler and use for more RAM or a better graphics solution or bigger monitor. Others don't care and that's fine too.

What would be good is if the regulars here would inform new posters of the facts too. Instead of repeatedly arguing over the same facts, over and over again. I mean, again these are not my facts. They are right there in our warranties and EULAs.

From your original post:
RAM, Case, Cooler, and CPU are all gravy.

I'm not sure what "moderate gaming" is, but if its in the budget I'd look at more powerful GPUs.
Either the GTX560 Night Fox linked, or even juicier, check the Graphics Performance List for a rough hierarchy of video cards.
GTX 460 is #19, GTX 560 (non Ti) is on-par with an HD 6870 @ #11.

750w power supply might be a little unnecessary.
I would check power consumption figures once you decide on a GPU, then decide if you want to pay for possible SLi power in the future now.
That being said, the Corsair HX750 is an awesome PSU and if you're set on it then you'll be happy with it.

Amazon does have the ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 (here).
Is it worth the premium? probably not, doesn't seem worth $75 over the Extreme3 to me, but I may be missing something.
Amazon also doesn't have the MSI Z68A-GD55 (G3) which I'd take over the Extreme3, not sure why they're slacking.
So, in my opinion, either work the Extreme4 into your budget or bite the bullet and order a motherboard from Newegg.

Curious about that, do you have a beef with Newegg or a good deal with Amazon?

Curious about that, do you have a beef with Newegg or a good deal with Amazon?
I have to admit Newegg has been a long time favorite of mine for on-line purchases. But the new December 2011 Consumer Reports rated it 5th in customer satisfaction, below Crutchfield, BHPhotoVideo, Amazon, and Costo - even though Newegg was rated best for prices.

Thanks for the replies !

I'll try this one thing at a time. First Newegg vs Amazon - both are very good and each has its advantages. For me Amazon there are three reasons it is better.
1) free 2 day shipping I pay $89 per year for "Prime" service. This entitles me to, and streaming video. Prime applies to all Amazon items and some items from other vendors on amazon.
2) Amazon has always paid return shipping for anything I return, Newegg does not.
3) Amazon does not charge me a expedite fee to ship asap. Their service has been very good. Newegg's service is also good I just prefer Amazon.

GPU is now MSI GeForce GTX560 1 GB DDR5 2DVI/Mini HDMI PCI-Express Video Card N560GTX TI TWIN FROZR II OC
Thanks !

Just ordered ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 from Newegg !

looks like you can't use private messages yet.
any interest in an evga gtx 460 1gb? $140 shipped, no rebates to deal with.

EVGA 01G-P3-1371-AR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) FPB EE 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
$140 $126 shipped
Specs - Newegg
maybe 2 weeks of use. replaced with a gtx 465 a week after ordering this card.
Card only unless you want to pay extra shipping for box.

RmwoO.jpg

ZO4uZ.jpg

See ordering dates.
cvuWj.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom