Modding a MoBo for SLI

Status
Not open for further replies.

j4ckaL

Daemon Poster
How do you mod a motherboard like the DFI LANPARTY nF4 Ultra-D to make it SLI ready?

I'm not sure that you can. You have to buy a motherboard that is labled as "SLI Ready" or somthing similar in order to use 2 nVIDIA cards in SLI mode.

You can. I'm sorry, I don't know how exactly, but my guess would be that you add an attachment to a PCI slot.

Just a guess =/

wouldnt the mobo have to have two PCI-E x16 slots thou? If it didnt come with two it would be kinda hard to add another x16 slot to the board. They would also have to be spaced right so that the special little SLI connecter that connects both cards would fit.

If your board has two PCI-E x16 slots then it probably wouldnt be that difficult, but if it dosnt, then just forget about it.

Long answer: You can't "mod" a mobo to be SLI. It either IS SLI or it's not. For SLI you need 2 PCI-E X 16 slots (although they both become X 8 when you use the SLI feature if I am correct) and then you need an ethernet bridge to connect the tops of the 2 cards.
Short answer: If your mobo didn't come with the bridge packaged with it (it is like a 2 inch by 1 inch piece of mobo material with a connector on each end) then your board cannot support SLI.

Well I'll be damned... I really should have read DJ-Chris's post before opening my big mouth. Who knew? Nonetheless, what I (and others) said still holds true for MOST mobos...

Igetshockedalot said:
Long answer: You can't "mod" a mobo to be SLI. It either IS SLI or it's not. For SLI you need 2 PCI-E X 16 slots (although they both become X 8 when you use the SLI feature if I am correct) and then you need an ethernet bridge to connect the tops of the 2 cards.
Short answer: If your mobo didn't come with the bridge packaged with it (it is like a 2 inch by 1 inch piece of mobo material with a connector on each end) then your board cannot support SLI.
Read the link DJ-CHRIS posted. It says you can easily mod an nF4 Ultra chipset into an nF4 SLI by closing a set of resistor pads with conductive paint. Then you set the jumpers to SLI and attach the top bridge from an SLI board and thats it.

Igetshockedalot said:
Well I'll be damned... I really should have read DJ-Chris's post before opening my big mouth. Who knew? Nonetheless, what I (and others) said still holds true for MOST mobos...
oh didn't see this post before I posted above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom