Mobo question

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoomK101

Solid State Member
I am building an intel machine with an 8800gst.

My buddy is telling me that I should get a mobo that can support 2 video cards, so that I can buy the 2nd a year or two from now. (If I feel the need to upgrade, I can buy another card at a lower price)

Any thoughts/advice?

1 new/good card > 2 old/mediocre cards

SLI really isn't worth the hassle unless gaming at big resolutions ( like with a 24" monitor ) plus nVidia chipsets aren't very good

in my opinion, if you want a future proof thing, just get a better card

It's a good idea sometimes. It really depends on the budget. if your building a computer for less than 700 or so i would say SLI and definitely crossfire is not worth it becuase the motherboards are more expensive. The 650i and 680i's can be had for a decent price these days except they don't overclock as well as their 750i counterparts.

You also need a better power supply and better cooling to handle dual gpu's as well.

For some people such as myself who have a little more money to spend my parts are all great recommended parts because they overclock and are reputable but my 8800GT does SLI very well and once the cards go down to 100-120 used i will jump on a second one.

Plus Nvidias been having the video corruption issue for a while.

Just go for a x38 or x48 board with a 4850 and buy another one in like a year for pretty cheap, then crossfire.

like everyone has stated, dual video cards is only beneficial if: 1. you have atleast a 24" monitor 2. you have a mb that supports it 3. you have a power supply to support it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom