Mobo making a beep sound when I turn on? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 07-26-2006, 12:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Mobo making a beep sound when I turn on?

So heres the deal, a couple months ago I turned on my computer and the mobo made a beep noise, and it wouldn't boot up windows. I asked my dad to take a look and he said my IDE cable was shot. So, I bought a new one and my computer worked fine after that. Now recently my computer did the samething. So, I just took my IDE cable going to my CD+ROM and stuck it in the hard drive. It worked.... then the next day it did the samething. It beeped. I then took the IDE cable out and blew in the connector to get any dust out. I put it back in and it worked fine. Is my hard drive dying?

Old 07-26-2006, 12:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Thumbs down Same problem

I had somewhat of the same problem and in the end i got a new hard drive. It was a secondary hard drive and it started to turn off and back on for 1-3 minutes and the whole time my system would be jumpy but when i restarted it sayed there was an ide installation error but i let is sit for awhile and then it booted but did it again 3 times within the next week. I turned on s.m.a.r.t and found out it was toast. It still worked when it wanted to but i just gave up and got a new one.

Turn on S.M.A.R.T if you havent and see what it says.

AMD Athlon Xp 2500+
768Mb pc2700
Nvidia GeForce 4 4200 ti
Closed Thread