Mobo and GPU recommendations

I don't have any second screen :S. Any other app that will show it in-game, like on top maybe similar to MSI Afterburner?

Ok, bumping for new info.
My PSU turned out to be Cougar CMX 700W v2, not the normal one which has good reviews on the internet. Figured that out through colours of the cables with the help of hardwaresecrets.
I noticed that whenever the GPU usage drops, so does the power according to MSI Afterburner. Could this mean a faulty PSU?
Btw, when I tested the other PSU in the shop, I only tested on game which is NFSMW 2012, and I found out through some searching that many people have the same problem in NFSMW 2012, so it could be the PSU still maybe?
Thanks PP Mguire for all the help.

Last edited:
MW 2012 uses the Frostbite 2 engine, so technically if you had problems with that you would have problems with BF3 as well. Your other thread mentioned Crysis 2, so the problem is more than just one game. I still say PSU.

I have problems with BF3 indeed. The GPU usage in this game drops more frequently than the others. I also faced problems especially with Crysis 1, in Crysis 2 the problem isn't very noticable and occurs rarely, but probably I didn't notice it as Crysis 2 is light on 1280x1024 and Hardcore graphics only.
When opening the PC, I noticed that the card had 6 PIn cable and 6+2 pin cable. However, he connected in a weird way. He connected the 6 pin part of the 6+2 pin cable into the 6 pin part, then he plugged into the 6 pin cable to the 8 pin part then converted the 2 pin part of one cable to the 2 pin part of the card with the other cable.
So let's say cable 1 is 6pin and cable 2 is 6+2, port A on the card is 6 pin and port B is 8 pin.
It's connected like this :
Cable 1 + 2 pin part of cable 2 -----> Port B
6 pin part of Cable 2 -----> Port A.
Should this cause any problems?
Also, the RAM he installed is 1.65v and my mobo supports up to 1.5v, so it ran at 1333 MHz ( its stock is 1600 ) until we manually set the multiplier in memory config in the bios to 16.00. However, the timing changed to 9-11-11-29 from 9-9-9-24. Should I return it and get a 1.5V?

Wait, you game on 1280x1024? If so, then that is why your GPU usage isn't very high. If I gamed at 1280x1024 my 580 probably would never go above 50% usage and my CPU would be my hang up depending on the game.

The 6 pin needs to go in the 6pin plug, and the 6+2 needs to go in the 8pin plug. Yes, that needs to be correct. The extra ground is there because the 8pin is a 150w line and the 6pin is a 75w line.

Anything that can cause instability you need to revert back. The RAM needs to be put to 1.5 and 1333 in this case even though the board should have no problems at all running 1.65v RAM at 1600. Just for troubleshooting sake.

I game on 1280x1024 temporarily and I plan on getting a full HD monitor soon.
As for the GPU usage dropping, I tried the system on a full HD monitor and the GPU usage kept dropping with same issue. Besides, I have vsync off which means the card will work as much as it can meaning GPU usage will be 99%. I don't think low resolution explains the low power reports on MSI afterburner either.
I already have RAM on 1333 MHz to troubleshoot, same issue.
How do I up the voltage anyway of the RAM? It seems that at 1600 MHz the timings get bigger which I guess means no improvement since ram clocks and timings both affect performance AFAIK.

Just an FYI, my 580 at 1920x1200 isn't used fully in BF3. I still get over 60FPS solid while gaming.

You raise the voltage via the bios. If you have no option, you're stuck. RAM speed does more than timings until you get to 1600 then the effects of the speed are not seen. Timings as long as they aren't too loose also wont be seen. 1600 at 11s isn't bad. You gain more real world performance going from 1333 to 1600 than you would staying at the 9s.

Why isn't it fully used? Are you sure you have vsync off? How much is the GPU usage?
Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom