Mobile Gaming PC/New at home gaming PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

toxicity_27

The Angriest of Amoebas
I install commercial pools and spas, so I'm rarely ever home to play games on my desktop. I bought a laptop in August of last year, and it just doesn't really seem to cut it for the games. I want to build a desktop pc that is mobile. I've found a case by Thermaltake that I like, and I plan on just getting a new mobo, mini atx or something like that, and taking the components out of my current rig and placing them in there, and then building a new desktop for my Thermaltake Armor, and possibly add watercooling. Money isn't really an issue, but I'm going to need a monitor, keyboard, and whatever else. I have an MX518 mouse already. Also, I need help as to what is the best components for a gaming rig as I've been out of the loop for some time. Currently the set up in my desktop is; Intel Core 2 Duo E6600, 3 GB G.Skill DDR2 800, eVGA 8800 GT 512 MB Superclocked, Antec Truepower 2.0 550W, 320 GB HDD, Tuniq Tower 120. This is the case that I'm looking at for my mobile desktop; Newegg.com - Thermaltake VF1000SWA Silver Aluminum MicroATX Desktop Computer Case - Computer Cases

With your opinion, would you build a desktop using that case for games, so you have a mobile powerhouse, or would you just cough up the extra dough and get a laptop? I'm taking anyone's opinion into account, so that will be appreciated. Let me know if you think it's just dumb to build a mobile desktop, and I should deal with my laptop. Thanks guys!

P.S. My laptop specs are;

HP Pavilion 9700t
Core 2 Duo 2.0 Ghz
3 GB RAM
Windows Vista Home Premium
160 GB HDD
nVidia 8600 M GS 512 MB

Thanks again!

Mobile and desktop really don't go together. I have had friends that packed up their desktops and took them to so called lan party's though.

If you want to play games mobile then you would be better to have a laptop. If money is no importance then you should get a gaming laptop, but be prepared to spend $3,000-$4,000.

Well, money is important, but I would like to keep it under that 3k mark for a laptop, and around 1500 for a desktop. I know in my first post I said money wasn't important, and I guess I didn't think about how much a laptop would cost. So there is a budget, I can be flexible if need be.

Well, money is important, but I would like to keep it under that 3k mark for a laptop, and around 1500 for a desktop. I know in my first post I said money wasn't important, and I guess I didn't think about how much a laptop would cost. So there is a budget, I can be flexible if need be.

Well a desktop would definitely be cheaper then a laptop, but not very mobile.

Maybe you could find a cheaper gaming laptop on eBay?

Guess I didn't think about eBay. What do you think about using that case though? I appreciate all of your opinions, has been helpful.

Guess I didn't think about eBay. What do you think about using that case though? I appreciate all of your opinions, has been helpful.

The case is really portable, but you could only use a Micro ATX or mini ITX mainboard, which I guess is to be expected.

I'm not too sure how a modern graphics card would fit in there, but I don't have any experience building those types of computers. It might fit okay, but heat could become an issue.

By the way that case looks pretty darn cool though.

Yea, I was thinking that case looked pretty sweet. Heat was a thought I was tossing around in my head. Also the size of the video card was being tossed around. Hmmm maybe some more research is needed?

Yea, I was thinking that case looked pretty sweet. Heat was a thought I was tossing around in my head. Also the size of the video card was being tossed around. Hmmm maybe some more research is needed?

Yeah maybe a little more research. It is kind of hard with those pictures to truly see how everything will fit. If you have any computer places near to where you live they may have cases like that, that you could see personally.

Let us know if you need anything else.

Good luck.

mobile as in how? like take it in the car and play games while on a road trip or mobile like bring it to a desk and hook it up then when done take it back home. what i would do is invest in a nice laptop that you can play games on. what kind of games do you play?

Mobile as in, ride in a semi and sit on a table/desk at a hotel for weeks at a time. I play fps, rpgs, basically anything. Used to be big into Guild Wars but haven't been for almost a year now. The big part about being mobile is that I don't want it to take up a lot of room in the truck, and I don't want it to be a huge beast to carry around up and down stairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom