Minor overclocking question

Status
Not open for further replies.

VampD

In Runtime
Hello all about a month ago I won a 8800 gtx and so I decided to build a computer and got a q6600 since it was so much cheaper then before and the popular gigabyte GA P35 DS3R.

Anyways the system performs pretty decent with all stock settings although I'm looking for about a 10%ish boost on the processor currently running at 2.4 ghz stock. Since I have a stock Intel HSF ( plan to get a better HSF later so for now I dont want to overclock too high since it already runs hottish at 50 celcius ) I was wondering is it safe to simply change the bus speed from 266 x 9 to 300 x 9 to make it run at 2.7 ghz? Do I need to change the voltage or any other settings with my mobo? Thanks in advance for the help.

Personally, I'd wait until an after market cooling solution is installed. My Q6600runs pretty warm on stock, and all though I can't overclock, I wouldn't mess with it anyways with stock cooling......but.....to hit 300fsb, more than likely but not certainly, won't require any voltage increase....just watch your temps closely.

What stepping do you have?

Personally, I'd wait until an after market cooling solution is installed. My Q6600runs pretty warm on stock, and all though I can't overclock, I wouldn't mess with it anyways with stock cooling......but.....to hit 300fsb, more than likely but not certainly, won't require any voltage increase....just watch your temps closely.

What stepping do you have?

g0, do I just change the bus speed to 300 like I said? This thread has got a whole lot of views but not a lot of replies :(

You can push a q6600 g0 to about 3.15mhz on stock voltage, but you'll need better cooling.

You can push a q6600 g0 to about 3.15mhz on stock voltage, but you'll need better cooling.

with my stock HSF I only want a 10%ish increase, so I think 2.7 ghz is a good number right? Did I write the correct procedure to go about doing this?

Raising the FSB is correct, but don't push it to 300 all at once, especially if you are thinking about attempting it with your current cooling situation. Listen to veedubfreak, you do need better cooling. You said that your temps are around 50C, is that idle or at load?

load, stock cooling isnt enough to handle just a 10% overclock?

yeah go up in increments , also raising the clocks doesnt really make the temp increase all too much but rather the vcore that is ur major problem. so after going up slowly just chek ur temps and u should be fine.

around 10% it should be able to handle it barely...see if you can't decrease some voltage actually for that small of an overclock

like what sora said they usually come with a high voltage that u can go down from so u should be able to get it to 2.7 with a lower voltage than what its at now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom