minor kink in planned build?

Status
Not open for further replies.

apsoul

In Runtime
If i wanted to eventually have a 0+1 raid setup for all of my data/programs (uses 4 HDD's if i understand everything correctly) and then a separate SSD for my OS. I would need 6 SATA connectors on my MOBO to have a DVD drive with all of that correct? I had my heart set on the M4A79 Deluxe am2/am2+/am3, but it only has 5 onboard SATA connections. I'm not sure i'll ever make it to the 0+1 + dedicated OS SSD, but i want to know if my thoughts are correct or not.... to make things simple

4 sata HDD's + 1 SSD + 1DVD drive = 6 onboard SATA needed correct?

You are correct. You could run raid5 (3 disks) 1 os and 1 dvd. Or you could get a pci-e raid card and do whatever you want. (look to spend at least $100 for this option) Or you could get a cheap sata card to run your dvd drives. or you could get another board.

Do you really need a raid 10 or 0+1 setup?

I definitely do not NEED it. But the want factor is rather high haha. As long as i know there would still be a way, then I'm happy as can be. SATA card for dvd drives would probably be the route i would take if i ever get there. thanks again :)

Just remember that raid is not a replacement for backups. I would consider a raid 0+1 array in a high end business server where you need speed and a fail-safe for drive failure as in your company looses money if a computer goes down during the day. Then the IT guys can rebuild it at night with now down time for employees.

But hey it would be fun to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom