Mini-ITX Build help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riznarf

In Runtime
Hey All-

I'm interested in building a mini-ITX rig and have some questions:

1) Will it fit a full sized GPU?
2) Can I use a 3rd party heat sink for the CPU or can I only use the one that comes with the cpu itself?
3) Does it use a full size power supply?
4) If it doesn't can an upper-tier GPU/CPU run on 450w?
5) Worst case scenario, is it possible to run a full-sized PSU OUTSIDE of the case? Or is that potentially dangerous?

Finally, here's the rig I'm thinking of, I'd love your thoughts/if you see any size/compatibility issues or if you simply think I'm making a wrong choice for one of the components, thanks!

Case:
Newegg.com - SILVERSTONE Sugo Series SG06BB-450 ALL Black Aluminum / SECC Mini-ITX Desktop Computer Case with SFX 450W 80+ Bronze Certified / Single +12V rail Power Supply

Mobo:
Newegg.com - ASUS P8H61-I (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel H61 HDMI USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard

CPU:
Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K

GPU:
Newegg.com - Recertified: EVGA 012-P3-1570-RX GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

RAM:
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-8GBRH

Media Drive:
Newegg.com - LITE-ON DVD Burner 8X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 6X DVD+R DL 8X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 8X DVD-ROM 24X CD-R 24X CD-RW 24X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DS-8A5S - CD / DVD Burners

I have a 1TB 7200.12 3.5" HDD already.

Thanks again guys and gals.

PS- my sig is not relevant...I'm using a laptop :-(

EDIT:

Looking to add http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118003 says, 85 x 112 x 125mm overall dimensions and the case says it can fit a heatsink/fan of 117mm or less in HEIGHT. (I'm not sure which of the 3 dimensions are height...help me?)

the cooler seems to be 125mm in height so I do not think it will fit in your case, and just as a general answer to one of your questions, I believe I have seen Mini ITX rig with a nice video card in it but I am not 100% sure. And the processor you have comes with a good stock cooler so I would just make sure that it fits in your case and that it does not block access to anything else on your mobo.

Thanks for the feedback, I have since found this case: Newegg.com - SILVERSTONE Sugo Series SG07-B Black Aluminum / SECC Mini-ITX Desktop Computer Case 600W 80+ Bronze Certified / Single +12V rail Power Supply which I know will fit a full sized GPU as well as having a 600w PSU with 1 12v rail. I have also decided to go with this mobo: Newegg.com - H67M-ITX/HT LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard because of the 6gb/s SATA ports and H67 chipset.

As for the HSF I guess I'll go with the stock, seems good enough, I (most likely) won't be overclocking. If I do, it'll be very slight.

Does anyone know however the difference between the i7-2600 and the i7-2600K? Because the K is $15 more...just wondering.

They both have 8 threads, the primary difference is the unlocked multiplier on the "k" versions, which does allow for easier overclocking.
There are a few other differences, not sure how important they are to you but you can look them up if you're really interested.
Here is Intel's comparison chart of the two, differences are highlighted.

I wouldn't even touch the 2600k for my own personal reasons... But it offers less than the regular 2600, but the k is great if you just wanna OC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom