Midrange Gaming PC + Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jookalook

Beta member
Here is the build that I came up with to satisfy my gaming needs:

MOBO - GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Video - EVGA 320-P2-N811-AR GeForce 8800GTS 320MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card - Retail

PSU - XCLIO GREATPOWER X14S4P3 550W ATX12V 550W Power Supply - Retail

Processor - Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 Conroe 2.13GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6420 - Retail

Memory - Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model BL2KIT12864AA804 - Retail

HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Media - SAMSUNG 18X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe and Software Black IDE Model SH-S182M/BEBM - OEM

I already have a monitor but will be upgrading in a couple months. I have a 36g raptor drive that I was going to put the operating system on while putting everything else on the Seagate. I have a keyboard and mouse and plan on buying a sound card in a couple months as well. I would like to keep the price of the rig right around $1000. Right now I have the E6420, but if prices come down July 22nd I wouldn't mind upgrading. That leads into my questions.

What processor should I upgrade to if prices do drop like everyone is talking about? E6600? E6750?

I would eventually like to experiment with overclocking since I have never done it before and am very interested by it, but probably not right away, maybe during winter break.

I also need suggestions on a budget case that has good circulation, for when I do overclock. It doesn't have to be fancy or good looking or anything like that. That stuff doesn't really matter to me. Maybe if you have any suggestions of cases that fit the Turiq 120 for when I do overclock? if I even need it with this build. Maybe you only need the Turiq with quad-cores, not sure.

Is the stock heatsink/fan good enough for not overclocking or am I going to have to get a better one off the bat?

That's about it. Please leave your comments/suggestion/answers.

Vik

Hey Jookalook,
Welcome to T.F.!!

Thats a good lookin' system, you got going there. As for the price drops, get the e6750. Excellent overclocker, when you do get into it.

For a budget case, this is pretty good for the money:
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Elite 330 RC-330-KKN1-GP Black SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

The stock heatsink is good enough, when not overclocking.

Also get your Ballistix from buy.com....much cheaper:
Buy.com - Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC2-6400 800MHz 240-pin DDR2 Memory - 112438

First off that build is quite good. The only thing I would suggest is going with a newer CPU (not that the E6420 is slow)

As for overclocking I would do it right away since it's not hard and worth the performance increase. As for a cheap casee the Coolermaster Centurion 534 is a great cooling cheap case.

Yea....just overclock it, out the box. With stock cooling, you could maybe get that to 2.7-2.8GHz....with the e6750, probably 3.0GHz....It's very easy and safe to do.

Those are great suggestions and thanks for the feedback. As for the overclocking, now that I think about it, there is no reason not to do it right away, so should I just buy the Tuniq 120 heatsink if my budget allows? Will it fit in the two case examples you guys provided?

They should fit, but it is not necessary to get the Tuniq, since the P35-DS3R will allow overclocking, with low voltage, resulting in low temperatures, thus not needing something like the Tuniq. The new C2Ds, also feature the G0 stepping, which was designed to consumer less power, and emit less heat. The Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro, will do just fine. It's only $20, compared to Tuniq's $50-60.

First off that build is quite good. The only thing I would suggest is going with a newer CPU (not that the E6420 is slow)

As for overclocking I would do it right away since it's not hard and worth the performance increase. As for a cheap casee the Coolermaster Centurion 534 is a great cooling cheap case.

I think the E6420 is semi fast (i have one) But I dont wanna overclock, b/c right now everst says my cpu temp is 40ºC. So i need to buy a cpu cooler, or i will upgrade my processor next year or so.

40C idle or load, that is a ton of headroom, to get your e6420 into the mid 3.0GHz range.

Just like b1gapl told you, next week July 22 to be exact Intel will introduce new Processor ( I know you have heard it most likely) You got 2 wise choices here you can get the infamous E6750 around $187 or the E6550 around $163
the difference?? the first one is clock at 2.66GHz and the latter is 2.33GHz both are suppose to be terrific overclockers but I can sure you the first one is already tested and can achieved around 3.96GHz. Anyway is yuor choice but CPU are worth it but if you are in a tight budget or want to save some greens go with the E6550 ;) .

umm the tuniq fits in my cm 330 with very minimal clearance at the side of the case. but seems to be fine anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom