Mid level machine for gaming? First build in six years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazru

Beta member
I was not aiming for the highest quality here. I play games like World of Warcraft, BFBC2, and things like Diablo 3 in the future. So I put together this mid level budget machine, and just wanted some opinions on what i'm looking at. Thanks!

Case: NZXT Guardian 921 RB Gaming Case - Black w/ Red Light
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5 760 Processor (4x 2.80GHz/8MB L3 Cache)
RAM: 4 GB [2 GB X2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair XMS3 Dominator w/DHX technology
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 - 1.2GB - EVGA Superclocked - Single Card
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3
Power Supply: 800 Watt
Hard Drive - 640GB, 64M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive

Sound card and others are not extremely important to me at the moment, so i'm just going with the standard on-board for now. Possible upgrade in the future.

Looks good for the most part.

PSU - Go with a solid brand, like Corsair, Antec, or such. Check out the PSU Guide.

Hard Drive - Go with a WD Black drive. Fast, and has a five year warranty.

Case: NZXT Guardian 921 RB Gaming Case - Black w/ Red Light

Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 810 Deneb 2.6GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 4MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory

GPU:EVGA GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

MOBO: ASUS EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard

Power Supply: CORSAIR 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Hard Drive - Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Subtotal: $699.93

I get a free copy of Windows 7 and Office from my employee at a college campus. Its legally distributed at our library, you get one copy of the latest OS, and one upgrade anytime there is one. Some jobs have decent perks :).

I would have opted to go with at least 1Tb of HD capacity., especially if you're going to be playing games and other stuff as well. If you plan on getting the new WoW expansion pack next month, that's going to require 25gigs itself then factor in all the stupid patches Blizzard likes to put out...
With the three packs WoW has out now, it takes up about 30gigs now or so. Just something to think about...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom