Memory - what to buy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

duncan9562

In Runtime
Im upgrading my memory from 2 gb OCZ Platinum to 4GB of something... :p
I am trying to get my head round memory timings....so wandered which of these products would do me best as they are within my budget;)

OCZ Blade 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 PC2-6400C4 Dual Channel (OCZ2B800C44GK)
Corsair XMS2 DHX 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 PC2-6400C5 TwinX Dual Channel (TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX)
Crucial Ballastix Tracer 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 PC2-6400C4 800MHz Dual Channel Kit : novatech : CRU-T644GK

Or if thers something that anyone can suggest thats between 40 - 50 GBP or around that mark then suggestions welcome :D

Thanks.

Ballistix ram is one of the best overclocking ram available, There was another set, the yellow or normal ddr2 modules that went to on sided chips but im pretty sure the red tracers, which are newer, are back to double sided chips and they use micron d9's which are great overclocking memory chips. Definitely get your hands on them if you can, be great for your rig, i would recommend also g.skill black PI/normal PI if you can find them in uk otherwise the ballistix are just as good.

Now there is a recent thread that had an easy to understand guide for ram timings, but essentially all you need to know is that for AMD, the tighter the better. make sure you get a clk4 kit.

Crucial Ballastix RED 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 PC2-6400C4 800MHz Dual Channel Kit : novatech.co : CRU-T644GR
there the kit i rec. you get and also heres a review stating double sided.

techPowerUp :: Crucial Ballistix Tracer Red 800 MHz 4 GB Kit Review :: Page 1 / 4 , they reached 1120mhz on clk5 at 2.2v which is great overclocking!

I just bought the G-skill pi blacks PC2-7200 from kustom pcs for £50.99. I had to get them ordered in but they are the best ram in the price range I could find. Email Graeme on sales@kustompcs.co.uk and he should be able to get some in for you. Mine are in on Monday not sure whether he can tally yours onto the same order.

Out of the ones you posted I would go with the ballistix they have the best timings and are known to be good overclockers :)

If you not overclocking it doesn't really matter as long as they are clk4 at stock, which both the PI blacks and red tracers are.

I would avoid ballistix, they are great overclockers but they are far from reliable. I had two sets of them die on me in less than a year and they were both run at stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom