Memory question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenlam

Baseband Member
Hi,
I'm thinking of upgrading my current P4 2.6b, 512 pc2100..... computer. I will be starting with the ram then the graphics card, and when I get a pay rise, I may consider a whole new computer.

BUT whats troubling me now is the types of ram available today, its too confusing. At the moment I have 512mb DDR SDRAM PC2100, I would like to upgrade it to 2gb but what I'm unsure about is where it says PC2100. Will I be able to buy anything higher like PC3XXX? or is my limit PC2100?

Also would it be worth it if I upgraded my CPU? if so what are my choices?

BTW this is my mobo http://www.magic-pro.com/en/product/socket478/8p4e.htm it says what ram it supports. Could you guys give me some recommendation?

Ken

You can buy pc3200 ram and it will just downclock it's self. If you buy a new CPU that's another reason to buy faster ram.

I would just wait, if you're going to be buying a whole new computer, just save your money for right now and wait, because your RAM and graphics card may not be compatible if you purchase them for this computer..

Thanks for your replies guys!

So assuming I can go for PC3200, whats the maximum I can go up to? I'm not sure if my mobo supports DDR2, but it can certainly talk FSB533 mem modules. Please clarify this with me.

Thanks again

unless youre gaming then dont buy 2gb. just get one gb there is no difference. my computer actually runs faster with one gb

The reason for having so much memory is because I oftenly open 1 or more virtual PC's, so that takes up a lot of my ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom