Memory compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

fitzfan

In Runtime
Of course i am a first time builder building a $1000 gaming machine beeing guidede by a friend like every other thread starter, lol, but i have a question about memory compatibility. I was looking at getting a 1 gig stick of OCZ or Patriot ram, but my friend warned me that those brands might not be compatibile with my mobo, he recommended corsair. So i looked on the manufacture of my mobos site and didnt see patriot or OCZ as supported, and then i looked on some of the other mobo companies and still didnt see them. Is it rare for them to support these companies, or will it work with any of them but they just havent tested it themselves, or what do they mean by "supported"? i assumed that and mobo that supports 184 pin pc3200 RAM would support any company, can someone shed some light on this?
here is the link to the parts: http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishlist/WishShareShow.asp?ID=1558427&WishListTitle=
thanks to anyone that helps or has input on the parts.

It will work. They list 'supported' brands, but that just means they specifically tested with them.

By the looks at it though, your looking at valueram anyways, so just go with the cheapest, any will be fine and any of those brands will work no problem...

i had major problems with this... dont get the patriot or ocz. I got patriot for my A8N-SLI premium and it didnt work. I ended up spending 40 dollars for a restocking fee and then had to get the corsair so be careful...

usually it does work though, just depends on the brand/how new it is. The older it is the more likely it will have the ocz and patriot memory compatible with it

hope this helps!

Beefcake said:
Also if you don't plan on upgrading to 2GB RAM you should get 2 x 512 in dual channel.

lol beefy :p i wonder where u got that from :p

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

He is correct, because if u get 2x1GB the memory bus is only used by the 2 sticks, but if u get 4x512 the bus is used by 4 sticks sometimes slowing it down.

Sprooty said:
lol beefy :p i wonder where u got that from :p

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

He is correct, because if u get 2x1GB the memory bus is only used by the 2 sticks, but if u get 4x512 the bus is used by 4 sticks sometimes slowing it down.

lol, it's just a coincidence. I learned that right when I joined the forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom