Memory 4g vs 8g?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dennykyser

Baseband Member
I have a question for you that know high end gear.
I am not a gamer, I am a Photoshop, Premier Pro, Video / Photo editor. So my pc is Workflow, workflow, workflow. Lots of rendering, multitasking.

I am wondering with my new build if I should go 4 or 8 gigs or ram. One would think its a no brainer, however dont most apps have a max of 2 gigs of memory usage meaning that 8 may be overkill.

I really dont know, thats why I am asking here.

i'm not to sure about the 2gb max use but i'm under the impression that the programs use what ever is needed

i know that the 32bit and 64bit operating systems have limits to what ram they see, with 32bit its 4gb max it see's and 64bit its 4gb+ not sure how much but it would see 8gb

and i would say go with 8gb, seen its used for multitasking, rendering and video editing the more the better, and i'm kind of wondering if anyone else can clear up the 2gb max thing

certain programs have 2gb of ram limiters... not so much because the program cant handle more but because the system is likely to become unstable if a system hogging program uses all of the avaible system resources.. so it is more of a system of checks rather than a program limiter

depends what you wanna pay i guess. I can't see anything wrong with buying 8gb if you want it for peace of mind. I run 6 right now on vista 64. Runs like a dream. photoshop cs3 runs smooth as silk as well. I don't do video rendering and such though so I can't give you any info there.

4GB is plenty for most things, but I noticed a small difference from 4-6 in vista anyway. I could easily go 8GB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom